Planning Passed!!!

I'm not sure many can say this, but we've just had the easiest planning journey, despite what appeared at the outset to be fairly complex surroundings.

Our plot is a 1-acre garden split, leaving just under 0.5 acre with the original bungalow and just over 0.5 acre with our plot. We are a stones throw from a conservation area, most of the trees in our garden can be seen throughout the village, our pre-plan noted highways access issues that we were only half-heartedly able to 'solve' and there were 27 neighbourly consultation letters sent out. The plot is about 4 miles from the centre of Norwich.

Despite this, we sailed through in 8 weeks to the day. No public comments at all, nothing from Highways, nothing from the District Council. Just one comment from the Town Council who said that we have a good design and our approach could serve as a lesson to all. Relieved is a massive understatement, we have been hugely blessed with this opportunity to build our forever home. We attribute at least part of our success to the fact that we weren't greedy. The plot could have sustained so much more, 4 houses, even 6 or 7, but all we wanted was ours. This was never a cash cow for us.

So, here is our design...

View from the West...

V1.1-s.thumb.jpg.24dc083c317a64c8231885061a466533.jpg

View from the South West...

V2.1-s.thumb.jpg.567162803c25257d7a5f068f518d991a.jpg

It's just over 193m2, plus a 24m2 carport. It'll be built from ICF. The scheme will save 5x 70ft Scots Pines, a 50ft Hornbeam, a 70ft specimen Lime, an 80-year-old Black Mulberry plus various others from the chopper. Despite the whole unsplit plot having 14 direct boundary neighbours, nobody overlooks us. We plan to do as much as possible ourselves. My small niche recruitment business won't survive the pandemic, it's hanging on by a thread now, so this will be my full-time occupation until it's complete. If we play our cards right, we'll be mortgage free and living in our dream home.

Anyway, just using this as a means to try to consolidate our excitement. Now to set off on a VERY steep learning curve!

• Like 11

Well done ?nice to hear a positive planning experience and an amazing looking home.

Lovely city Norwich,  going tomorrow for afternoon tea at the assembly house .

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Buzz said:

Well done ?nice to hear a positive planning experience and an amazing looking home.

Lovely city Norwich,  going tomorrow for afternoon tea at the assembly house .

Hi fellow Norfolk'er. Enjoy the Assembly House, it's very nice apparently.

10 hours ago, Mulberry View said:

We attribute at least part of our success to the fact that we weren't greedy. The plot could have sustained so much more

Congratulations.

Your comment, quoted above echoes our experience. I think you'll hear this remark regularly...

'Ow many more ya gonna puron 'ere then? "

• Haha 1

Hi looks great. Good luck with the build.

I’m awaiting the decision on our application with South Norfolk Council, we are 5 miles from Norwich.

We are also planning to go down the ICF route using Isotex Blocks and an insulated raft foundation.

Will be nice to see your progress 

• Like 1

On 10/07/2021 at 07:47, Chanmenie said:

Hi looks great. Good luck with the build.

I’m awaiting the decision on our application with South Norfolk Council, we are 5 miles from Norwich.

We are also planning to go down the ICF route using Isotex Blocks and an insulated raft foundation.

Will be nice to see your progress 

Good luck with your planning! Interesting that you've managed to decide on your ICF system so early.