Will a self-build mortgage cover VAT on kit house?

AnnaKH

Hi, I've been mostly looking at companies who offer supply and erect service, which means I wouldn't have to pay the VAT on the kit. I've just started looking at kit supply only companies and want to know if a self-build mortgage would cover the VAT for our kit house? I know we can reclaim it back, but can we borrow on the cost inc VAT or only exc VAT? Thanks

46 minutes ago, AnnaKH said:

Hi, I've been mostly looking at companies who offer supply and erect service, which means I wouldn't have to pay the VAT on the kit. I've just started looking at kit supply only companies and want to know if a self-build mortgage would cover the VAT for our kit house? I know we can reclaim it back, but can we borrow on the cost inc VAT or only exc VAT? Thanks

I would tell them no

and ask them to zero rate the kit

1 hour ago, AnnaKH said:

When you think about it the mortgage will be covering everything you buy which will be subject to vat anyway unless it’s supply and fit so I don’t see a problem with that, unfortunately kit firms can’t zero rate unless they are erecting it for you 

• Like 1

+1

The amount they will lend is normally a percentage of what they think the finished house will be worth (not its cost to build), oh and your earnings/affordability.