Window marks

1 minute ago, AliG said:

It may be that you can polish out the last of it.

When we had minor scratches in ou windows, the builder used a glass polishing kit to fix it, might work in this case if it has embedded itself into the glass.

Got a link to anything in particular? 

Or anyone else recommend a polishing product? . Last thing I want to do is make it worse ?

Reminds me of when I was a wee lad and I got told to clean the car by my parents to earn my pocket money, I cleaned with soap and water but there was bits of tar stuck all over the paint work so I had a rummage under the sink until I found a green scouring pad……. If I rubbed the scouring pad really hard on the little spots of tar they eventually came off……. As did most of the top layer of paint. Needless to say I was never asked to clean the car again. 

Sadly I don't know what kit he used and would just resort to Google.

Some useful information here

https://guildofglasspolishers.co.uk/truth-about-d-i-y-glass-polishing-kits/

My daughter's friend scratched one of our TVs and I managed to buff it out using a magic sponge, you might try that first. 

People recommend all sorts of abrasives on line such as Brasso and toothpaste and T-Cut. I did get a headlight refurbishing kit, which used some kind of abrasive paste, a few years ago from Amazon to fix my brother's yellowing car headlights and was amazed how well it worked.

• Thanks 1

I suggest just leave the remaining gunk to weather, then wd40 again. 

What is left may be a bit of glue combining with dirt that was already there, in the pits.

If you wanted it to stick, it wouldn't.  Summer heat, winter cold, long-term wet...it will give in at some stage.

As glass is a liquid, it will all smooth out in a few hundred years,....if there is no real hurry.....self build always takes a while.

As glass is a liquid, it will all smooth out in a few hundred years,....if there is no real hurry.....self build always takes a while.

Does that mean ... if you stand still on it for a while you will sink in

12 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

I suggest just leave the remaining gunk to weather, then wd40 again. 

What is left may be a bit of glue combining with dirt that was already there, in the pits.

If you wanted it to stick, it wouldn't.  Summer heat, winter cold, long-term wet...it will give in at some stage.

It's on the inside so weather isn't greatly going to effect it.

As for self builds taking a long time - yeah, it's the least of my worries. I'll add it to my "to do" list at position 168,456.

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

Gel so may sit there and dissolve it while you do something else.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/interior-cleaning/de-solv-it-sticky-stuff-remover-908285.html

Have you thought of applying some adhesive tape to see if it picks the bits off? 

It’s in the porous glass afaik . There’s zero to ‘feel ‘ . Wd40 again tomorrow, then I’ll leave it until SWMBO notices ???

Granny used to polish glasses with newspaper dampened with water or vinegar. Dipped in a bit of soot from the fire to remove stubborn marks. Some of the old tricks still the best IMO 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...