Do I need skim plasterboard in bathroom?

Hi all

We had make good all the walls in the bathroom after removing old tiles and to save time and money we covered most of it with plasterboard using dot and dab. My question is I was told that i can mist coat this with a diluted mix and then paint over it with no issue. However, a tradesman today said it would need to be 

skimmed over before painting and that he has never painted over raw plasterboard before. Which is correct?

No 

4 minutes ago, Listless said:

Hi all

We had make good all the walls in the bathroom after removing old tiles and to save time and money we covered most of it with plasterboard using dot and dab. My question is I was told that i can mist coat this with a diluted mix and then paint over it with no issue. However, a tradesman today said it would need to be 

skimmed over before painting and that he has never painted over raw plasterboard before. Which is correct?

He’s correct 

You will need to tape and fill the joints, but painting raw plasterboard in normal in many houses now where only the plasterboard joints are filled.

You should have used the green "waterproof" plasterboard and use a bathroom paint.  But I have seen plenty of old houses with the normal plasterboard just taped and filled and painted without issue.

I think we used the regular stuff with a tapered edge. It was Knauf from Wickes. But it’s on the far wall away from shower so I can’t imagine it being exposed to too much water...

It’s been taped and filled. 

If I were to paint direct do I just seal with paint or is is best to use a dedicated product to seal it? Is skimming likely to prove better in the long term?

Seems to be I’m getting mixed responses on this one and online too.