Please recommend some reliable self builders near melksham to construct new build

Aks

Hi could you all please recommend me any reliable self builder to construct a new build near Melksham(wiltshire- near to bath and chippenham)As I am new to this place so not know many people around so looking for recommendations. I am looking to hire main contractor route. Please recommend some reliable self build companies.

thanks.

We found our builder by driving around the area looking at nice houses that were being built. We just stopped and asked to talk to the boss. Explained we were looking for a builder and asked if we could look around. All said yes. Ask questions. You can learn a lot from how they answer your questions. Some were very patronising. Some sites were a mess. Look for things like neat plumbing, staircases protected against damage etc.

Builders Merchants won't normally recommend a builder but once you have a short list you can try chatting with counter staff. Tell them you're looking for a builder and ask if there is anyone on your list they have heard of. I got a variety of responses from "We can't comment" to "I would let him work on my house". 

Edited by Temp

21 hours ago, Temp said:

We found our builder by driving around the area looking at nice houses that were being built. We just stopped and asked to talk to the boss. Explained we were looking for a builder and asked if we could look around. All said yes. Ask questions. You can learn a lot from how they answer your questions. Some were very patronising. Some sites were a mess. Look for things like neat plumbing, staircases protected against damage etc.

Builders Merchants won't normally recommend a builder but once you have a short list you can try chatting with counter staff. Tell them you're looking for a builder and ask if there is anyone on your list they have heard of. I got a variety of responses from "We can't comment" to "I would let him work on my house". 

Thank you so much. We looked few places and one builded did put the board out side and other no there is no one else to talk probably we went in wrong time. Could I know which place did you looked for your home.

Were in the Huntingdon area so too far away to recommend anyone. Think our builder is retired now anyway.

You can also try local Estate Agents. They will probably know who builds nice houses in your area. Do your own checks on anyone they recommend.

• Thanks 1

As above you need to ask your neighbours etc. Social media is another source of help. There are often posts along the lines of "can you recommend a good builder" with lots of suggestions for you to follow up on. My builders merchant was very helpful once we got to know them. We are project managing our build so we opened a cash account and got lots of quotes from them which opened up avenues for us to ask about bricklayers/groundworkers etc. Once we had one trade on site we would ask them to recommend the next trade etc. We were also lucky to have lived in the area for forty years so could tap into the local grapevine. Good luck it is a very worrying process.

• Thanks 1