Dewalt beast cracking tiles

Pocster

The beast has suddenly decided to crack quite a few tiles right at the end .

I try holding one side or the other when putting the tile through the blade - seems to make no difference. Platform and blade seem level . Any suggestions??

7D0F77F4-A406-4927-BE62-E576C564B019.jpeg

Hmmmmm

I’m not sure what’s going on here .

The tile lifts slightly at the end where I push it in . Like the cutter is pushing down on the tile too hard . I would of normally thought a blunt blade ; but changed this blade a few months ago . A Dewalt blade so not cheap . Perhaps a different blade ??? Any suggestions ???

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Haven’t tried that . Means adjusting the cutter though on every pass bit of a pita .

Can try it though ?

No it doesn't.

It means doing them in batches of 10 to half then full.

Which is fine unless you are one of those silly sods who buys yuuuuuuuuuuuugggggeeeee tiles that weight 35kg each, in which case you deserve every cracked muscle fibre.

50 quid a pop these Dewalt blades !!

How many broken tiles will that pay for?

That photo with my feet make it look like a giga size blade !!

You are Twonald Dump and I claim my £5.

Suggestions:

- Are your tiles OK eg flat?

- I'd perhaps take the old blade into the shop to compare. Is it worth looking at a Screwfix "Trade rated" option, or call the Dewalt helpline to check how often you should change blades?

F

• Like 1

If the tiles are hard it will wear the diamonds down. Get a softish house brick and dress it across the spinning blade, this will pull the adhesive from the blade and expose fresh diamonds.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

No it doesn't.

It means doing them in batches of 10 to half then full.

Which is fine unless you are one of those silly sods who buys yuuuuuuuuuuuugggggeeeee tiles that weight 35kg each, in which case you deserve every cracked muscle fibre.

Yeah but I like dealing with 1 tile at a time like a true pro ?

36 minutes ago, pocster said:

?

That photo with my feet make it look like a giga size blade !!

Lucky it was just your feet on show or that blade would have looked even bigger!

• Haha 1

On 06/07/2021 at 13:36, pocster said:

The beast has suddenly decided to crack quite a few tiles right at the end .

I try holding one side or the other when putting the tile through the blade - seems to make no difference. Platform and blade seem level . Any suggestions??

7D0F77F4-A406-4927-BE62-E576C564B019.jpeg

It seems to me that something is going out of true towards the end and rather than the blade cutting through it is putting a load onto the tile which is cracking it.

It stands to reason that a good blade spinning fast will remove material thus cutting through, if this remains straight, level and true then the blade will continue on it's path, if at some point something tilts or turns or rocks, I could see the above occuring.

I had an issue with vibration, once the tile was nearly cut, the last bit was just cracking off - I ended up needing to get the tile to sit more firmly so it couldn't vibrate the backs of them their quite rough so sitting flat and firm was not an inherent characteristic of the tile. 

I would perhaps get some scrap tiles (looks like you may have a few!) and investigate how square everything sits in relation to each other particularly at the last section of the cut. If the issue is limited to the last 50-60mm then could you try cutting it with a wooden spacer to move the tile out further, if that cuts no issue then you know that something is happening at the final stroke.

Is the blade running dead straight the whole way? It is not by any chance taking a lean at the last section due to a loose rail or bearing or bent bit?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

Is the blade running dead straight the whole way? It is not by any chance taking a lean at the last section due to a loose rail or bearing or bent bit?

Checked it all . As my first thought was wobbly tray or mis aligned blade . All seems solid too me …. Will try your idea of pushing the tile out from the tray for the final cut 

Edited by pocster