Demolition & Impact on Neighbours

DillyDilly

Hello, 

I shall be starting a new build fairly soon and I am in the process of organising a more intrusive asbestos survey followed by demolition. Our small timber framed bungalow (63sqm) sits between two large houses built 80+ years ago and thus having shallower foundations than similar modern builds. The properties also lie on a slight gradient.

The removal of our slab foundation, hopefully not too deep, will I imagine involve heavy pneumatic drilling resulting in vibrations which might have an adverse effect on the neighbouring properties .... the closest one being just over 3m away. Any advice to circumvent or minimise this would be welcome.

Thanks

DD

This phase of our demo really upset the neighbour as the slab ran quite close to their house and was particularly thick.

The contractor should have a 'pecker' to break up the slab but a large enough machine should be able to grub them out also.

Problem is usually that the general purpose excavator being used is too small so they need to break the concrete up into lots of pieces. 

Our neighbour claimed that these works caused pointing to fall out of his chimney and ended up having it re-built and reduced in height but he had no 'before' pics so not sure if the contractor paid him anything.

So my advice is to ensure that the machines used are properly sized and that you take lots of photos of the neighbouring properties before works starts incase any existing damage is attributed to your works. Also ensure your contractor has the necessary insurance etc and make it clear that any complaints will be directed to them and not you :)

Neighbors will bitch no matter what . (expletive deleted) ‘em and just do it ! . They are going to hate you before the build , during the build and after the build anyway.

Edited by pocster
  • Haha 1

I can guarantee you that the bungalow will have minimal foundations. Ours of the same era had about 100mm strip of lime mortar directly on top of the clay, about 40pmm below ground level. 

Dust would be the biggest concern and make sure your demo crew have a method statement to account for it. Rain helps ?

Since we moved into the property in May, all our neighbours have been friendly and helpful and I get the impression they want us to get on with our build as our property is outrageously hideous and certainly lowers the tone of the "hood".

• Like 1

Before you bring the excavator in….

Do video with your narratives of the roads and adjoining properties pointing out any visible defects or potential issues. 
inform your neighbours with a note (so it’s in writing) what you’re doing and when and to contact you at anytime if they have concerns. Communication is key! 
Ideally establish size of existing foundations so the excavator is big enough to pull out rather than using a pecker which will make a tremendous noise and vibration to neighbours. 
pull the Existing founds away (from neighbouring properties) to point of pick up by a grab lorry where they can if need be broken up into smaller sections. 

• Like 1

I found it useful to give immediate neighbours a letter with my mobile on it, a summary of what was planned (times & date) and suggestions to move cars to avoid dust or getting blocked in by a big delivery etc.

I found that when people know they can contact you, they're less likely to.

2 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

I found that when people know they can contact you, they're less likely to.

I found they just all bitch to the council no matter what . It really depends on the area I think . An obnoxious, arrogant, superiority complex , affluent area where I live means there will always be neighbour aggression . An area where everyone bakes cakes , loans their car , shares their partner would be much less hassle .

• Haha 1

On 06/07/2021 at 10:26, DillyDilly said:

Hello, 

I shall be starting a new build fairly soon and I am in the process of organising a more intrusive asbestos survey followed by demolition. Our small timber framed bungalow (63sqm) sits between two large houses built 80+ years ago and thus having shallower foundations than similar modern builds. The properties also lie on a slight gradient.

The removal of our slab foundation, hopefully not too deep, will I imagine involve heavy pneumatic drilling resulting in vibrations which might have an adverse effect on the neighbouring properties .... the closest one being just over 3m away. Any advice to circumvent or minimise this would be welcome.

Thanks

DD

it very well may be easier than you think. the slab may well be able to be pulled up by a digger relatively easily without hammering. Pick a wet day to keep dust and smoke down and burn it as you demolish. Good digger man would have the lot done in a day.

100% agree with the previous posts about communication with neighbours. ask if they have any requests or individual concerns.  Eg night shift workers, pets, children etc.    I would consider a gesture such as wine, flowers, chocolates etc would go a long way too.   Communication will make your life a lot easier, both for this and future phases of your project.