Resin bound drive build up - what is "right"?

Weebles

We are finally getting quotes in for a resin bound driveway.  There is a difference on the build up

Quote 1: 220mm "mechanically compacted limestone", 60mm tarmac, 18mm resin

Quote 2: 100mm type 1 scalpings, 60mm tarmac, 20mm resin

Its the difference in the build up that is making me wonder what is "right"?

Any other resin driveway owners happy to share their build up please?

MOT Type 1 covers a wide variety of hardcore materials, everything from virgin crushed limestone to recycled concrete and brick. Scalpings are what they scrape off roads before resurfacing. 

I would expect over 150mm of hardcore under a driveway so quote 1 is looking better than 2.

You may also want to put some kind of weed control membrane down? 

Here is another spec for comparison. Type 3 is a porus hardcore that lets water through. Type 1 isn't always porous.

image.thumb.png.38e7a59573daf60b52606c75cc093aaa.png

Edited by Temp

I'd hazard a guess that quote 1 is SUDS compliant but Quote 2 isn't as the type 1 isn't permeable? Also, the depth of the sub-base will depend on the type of sub-grade material.

our civil engineer specified 235mm type 3 subbase, 70mm porous tarmac, 20mm resin bound gravel.

someone who actually knows what they're talking about will be along soon I'm sure.

11 minutes ago, Gone West said:

We had 200mm type1, 70mm asphalt, 20mm resin bound gravel.

We had similar. The sub-base layer will be dependent on the ground conditions and how deep you need to go down to get to something firm.

Our base layer was limestone (?) scalping (pink) as they compacted nice and smooth vs the generic 'crush' that was used under paving.

@Weebles who are you using? We went with Pavillion Paving.

Thanks everyone so far.  Some of the new drive will be going on the same location as the old drive (which probably has a decent compacted layer underneath) but other bits are going over what used to be soil areas so although they are compacted after 2 years of machinery going over them the instinct from everyone to go for a deeper build up feels right.  I have asked Quote 2 his reasoning for the shallow layer and we will see.  

Thanks @Bitpipe for the suggestion.  Will ask them to quote.  Have asked a Resin Bound ltd recommended contractor (his was quote 1) and also a landscaper recommended by our gate people (quote 2).  Bit wary of landscapers who believe they can do everything following a bad experience earlier this year.  The feedback has shown I am right to be wary. 

Finishing off the project is so hard.  We are working full time jobs, desperate to get it done but finding it hard to find the time to do the necessary research.  Goodness knows how we ever built the house.

With you on the difficultly completing once you get out of self build mode.

Nothing wrong in getting a competent landscaper to do the ground prep & edging (as we did), however our guy recommended the resin firm directly - same guys who did all the surfacing around the Oracle in Reading.

N.B. the proper contractors use a 'candy floss' style machine, not a bell mixer - worth asking for pics of their equipment :)