Screws v twist nails

Hi

I've recently removed all my decking & frame and I'm reconstructing from scratch. The decking is around 300mm from ground level so not too far.

I've decided to use joist hangers to attach the joists to the ledger boards on each wall (the decking spans between the house and another wall). 

Is there any screws I can use to attach the hangers & joists rather than twist nails? Theres 64 nails per joist and it's taking me forever!

Thanks

Hi, yes there are screws available;e, one is Simpson Strong Tie. but they are not cheap.

They have a small shank under the head and single thread.

Edited by markc

15 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Screws don’t have the right strength quality for joist hangers, some people have used them but twist nails are the “proper” spec fir using with joist hangers.

Plus One 

BC would make start again 

10 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

worth hiring a nail gun?

Probably not as you need special nails for the PPN guns.

If this is outdoor decking there is no need to have so many fixings per hanger.  Could reduce 12 per hanger.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markc said:

Hi, yes there are screws available;e, one is Simpson Strong Tie. but they are not cheap.

They have a small shank under the head and single thread.

+1 to that I have used literally 1000s of these in our build!

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

Probably not as you need special nails for the PPN guns.

If this is outdoor decking there is no need to have so many fixings per hanger.  Could reduce 12 per hanger.

Its outdoor decking. The joists are 2x6 and was told to use a hanger on the top and bottom to prevent twisting. There is 16 nail holes per hanger (8 into the board and 8 into the joist) - 2 hangers per end of joist and obviously 2 ends = a lot of hammering!

I've used nails so far but I'm getting bored of hammering. I'll check out the recommended screws - thanks.

16 minutes ago, segued said:

The joists are 2x6 and was told to use a hanger on the top and bottom to prevent twisting.

I have never seen this and can't even see how you would do it.  Just cut some noggins to go between the joists.

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

This is only an external deck so BC will not get involved.  As @markc says, you can get special screws for hangers but they are pricey.

Ah ok

Twist nails are quick to put in and cheap