"Future proof roof"

Im am currently trying to nail down my roof design to get some final prices through and everyone keeps telling me I NEED to put attic trusses in to future proof the house however noone want to give a hint at the extra cost.

The house is 3500sq ft without the attic and adding a roof space living area would add approx 800sq ft more. My take on it is I've 5 bedrooms which is one guest room and our family won't be getting any bigger so what would I be future proofing for. I will never sell the house so can't see the reason for the extra layout.

I would imagine if the loft is dead space there would be additional savings that could be made over and above the timber and labour costs also.

Anyone got any idea on an idea of percentage uplift to make the loft habitable  as oppose to a standard fink style roof ??? Is it so small that I am as mad as some seem to think I am for not going attic trusses.????

Ours is about the same time as yours 

From memory I think they where more than double 

Two friends and me managed to do the the trusses without a crane 

No chance with 12 mtre attic trusses So you need to factor that in 

We always intended selling 

Most of the buyers of large one of houses around here are Asians with extended families So we would have more than recouped the cost when we sell 

Edited by nod

More than double for the trusses, plus additional installation plus I'm assuming additional insulation etc also for it to be habitable ??? given I've 1800sq ft garage/ gym/ studio also and it's not for sale I just don't see the benefit I think I'm right to leave it especially as I'm on a tight budget as it is.

10 minutes ago, Ronan 1 said:

More than double for the trusses, plus additional installation plus I'm assuming additional insulation etc also for it to be habitable ??? given I've 1800sq ft garage/ gym/ studio also and it's not for sale I just don't see the benefit I think I'm right to leave it especially as I'm on a tight budget as it is.

We came to the same conclusion 

Plus I hate three story houses ?

Just buy the attic truss and insulate it the way you originally intended to. Installation won't be much extra cause you will still need a crane to lift them anyway.

In 10-15 years time one of your kids might need somewhere to setup a home/ business and then they can sort out upgrading it with electrics, plumbing and insulation. You will have done the important bit with the attic truss. In the meantime you will have a good storage space so can use the garage for its intended purpose, a bar with a pool table and large TV.

Thanks Nod I think you've single handedly answered my question for me.

That might largely because it's the answer I wanted but thanks never the less?

I had started to doubt myself I've had that many tell me I'm mad not to when I'm at it.

@Declan52 the "garage" has doubled from its original size and despite me being a bit of a petrol head I don't think I ever planned to put a car in it ?

I always said sure I've plenty of room if I want a car garage in the future I'll build a different one.

I think knowing myself if I put attic trusses in I'll end up going full hog and blowing a wad on it. As for the kids using it, I'd see that as another reason not to have it done, I don't want them getting too comfortable after college...

If you don't need the extra space and budget is tight don't bother , they will be more than double the cost of standard finks by the time you are finished . my roof is 15m x 15m the attic truss quotes came in at 10k-12k they were big and heavy @250kg for a single truss and 1000kg for the 4 plys , builder wanted 3.5k to make and fit them (as they were in 2 parts) plus a crane so would have been 14-16k fitted. those prices were 3-4 months old i dread to think what they might be now,

18 minutes ago, Ronan 1 said:

@Declan52 the "garage" has doubled from its original size and despite me being a bit of a petrol head I don't think I ever planned to put a car in it ?

I always said sure I've plenty of room if I want a car garage in the future I'll build a different one.

I think knowing myself if I put attic trusses in I'll end up going full hog and blowing a wad on it. As for the kids using it, I'd see that as another reason not to have it done, I don't want them getting too comfortable after college...

Who are you getting a price from?? Try Quinn's in ardboe, ATS in Portadown and Murdock's. I used ATS and they where great.

• Thanks 1

I must try them for a comparison and back check, I would be surprised (and annoyed) if the Murdock price is beaten.  We run north of 1m a year through them at work and I have been promised an at cost price or as close to it as they can do...

He has advised me to hold off for a few months with the order yet as they anticipate a price drop on timber toward the back end of the year, and to be honest it will be circa November before I'll need them on site

• Like 1