Slate covering on freestanding pent roof?

Can someone please give advice to an amateur roofer?

I want to put a slate covering on a free-standing mono-pitch pent roof over a wood store. I want to use slate because I want it to be in keeping with the roof of an adjacent Victorian cottage but I also want to practice my slating on a small area.

I've never seen any pictures of a slate covering on a pent shed roof. What I can't figure out is how (whether it is possible?) to protect the top of what would be the 'ridge'. There won't be a ridge of course, and so no ridge tiles to protect the top slates from wind lift and water ingress. I thought about using clay ridge tiles and laying them on their side, with one side vertical, drilled and screwed to the fascia board, but this might look silly.

If it can't be done I'm thinking about making in asymmetric ridged roof with a very short pitch on one side to allow me to have a proper ridge.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Andrew

Usually a lead or bent tin flashing over the top and front. Wood stores are also better built the “wrong” way so the back is higher than the front, you then hide the back edge in your case assuming it’s up against something. 

On 03/07/2021 at 10:03, PeterW said:

Usually a lead or bent tin flashing over the top and front. Wood stores are also better built the “wrong” way so the back is higher than the front, you then hide the back edge in your case assuming it’s up against something. 

Thanks Peter,

The back edge is not abutting a wall - the structure is free standing. To use a strip of lead on the top edge as you describe, how would the lead be fixed? Would it be nailed to the fascia?

On 03/07/2021 at 10:03, Mr Punter said:

You can get monopitch ridge tiles.

Thanks,

I've looked at the mono-pitch ridge tiles. As with my reply to Peter, how are these affixed to the fascia board? They'll be cemented to the tiles on the roof, but will I have to drill holes in them to screw them to the fascia?

Andrew

8 hours ago, AndrewR said:

Thanks Peter,

The back edge is not abutting a wall - the structure is free standing. To use a strip of lead on the top edge as you describe, how would the lead be fixed? Would it be nailed to the fascia?

Yep nail on with copper nails 

1 hour ago, AndrewR said:

Thanks,

I've looked at the mono-pitch ridge tiles. As with my reply to Peter, how are these affixed to the fascia board? They'll be cemented to the tiles on the roof, but will I have to drill holes in them to screw them to the fascia?

Andrew

They often have a couple of holes for fixing.  Stainless screws work well.