5 minutes ago, Triassic said:

What a great idea, I'll add that to my checklist.

Just make sure you stack it above a supporting wall, not mid span (seen that done before then lots of props put underneath to stop the joists sagging)

Ask the BM to pallet wrap a few short stacks as you don't want to have one big pile. Don't forget to get fire, moisture, acoustic and regular into different pallets so they can be used without having to dig them out. Count up roughly what you need in each and get it slung upstairs now. Easier to pass a few boards down than carry them up ;)

Spend some time on this forethought as it'll save a LOT of ( wasted ) time and labour.

Very good point to raise too. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Ask the BM to pallet wrap a few short stacks as you don't want to have one big pile. Don't forget to get fire, moisture, acoustic and regular into different pallets so they can be used without having to dig them out. Count up roughly what you need in each and get it slung upstairs now. Easier to pass a few boards down than carry them up ;)

Spend some time on this forethought as it'll save a LOT of ( wasted ) time and labour.

Very good point to raise too. 

Spot on advice. When we did the barn conversion this is exactly what we got them to do. I can still see the boarders labourer little face, he thought it was Christmas :D

6 hours ago, Barney12 said:

Have you got your plasterboard delivery ready to pop up on that first floor? Your boarders will love you forever! 

Be careful about doing this.  It definitely has pros and cons.  We didn't in the end, and I am glad that we didn't.  The pros are self evident so let me just list off the cons that you might want to consider:

• The plastering crew might want to provide the PBoard themselves.  Ours did and it was part of the job lot price (which was very competitive, BTW).
  • They walk PBoard into building and up floors all of the time, so this was absolutely routine for them.  It is amazing to watch two chunky guys passing 2.4×1.2m sheets between each other in a stair well and stocking out for a floor in less than 30 mins.
  • Getting the quantities and spec correct is quite complicated.  You might have different thicknesses for ceilings and walls, and you need pink and green boarding for safety corridors and bathrooms.
  •  You definitely do not want to have PBoard stacked on the ground floor whilst the slab is drying out.
  • You probably don't want to have PBoard stacked on the upper floors because leaving aside the structural risks mentioned about, it just gets in the bloody way and can get damaged or degrade.  It is also often in the wrong room, and it is just as easy for the plastering gang to pass the board up the stair well and into the right room and by the right quantity, rather than carry it from room to room.

OK, we are working to a budget and doing a lot of work ourselves including a lot of the internal first fit, so our build time-scales aren't nearly as tight as some on the forum, but it was a year between the frame going up and the PBoard skin going on.  A long time I know, but this also had a lot of incidental benefits for us:

• We saved a lot of external costs because we had time to do work ourselves.
  • We had time to experience the space and as a result made quite a few internal changes: we added a couple of en-suites, and moved an internal partition wall, as well as moving the racking from one side to the other on a couple of walls.
  • The delay meant that the slab had totally dried out and the frame stabilised before the boarding out.  This in turn meant that we had no drying out cracking at all on our plasterwork.

• Like 1

Took some doing but got a pallet delivered. Brendan is going to brace the floor underneath for me as i have no Acrows on site. As i will be doing the boarding it means i have 72 less to lift up with my wife

Thanks @Barney12 for the tip

19 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

I hope you appreciate JUST how spoiled you are today! We have handballed 250 sheets from the drive up to the hill, including a pallet of Wallboard 10 and 15mm boards...

DSC_0003.JPG

Godsend this:

shopping.jpg.83cbc828ab52132677af6b1717c4a89e.jpg

• dogman changed the title to MBC on site-frame up-roof next

I think I said this in another thread recently. Boy that's a big un.

Our present house has 2 glulam beams hidden in the roof. I think if I had known just ho nice they can look, I woudl have asked for the design to be such that part of them was on show.  My new house uses Kurto beams, aparently Glulams would have been far too big to get the strength.

• dogman changed the title to MBC on site-frame up-roof on.

No not by a long way. I now have to slate the roof and get the windows and doors in and some of the MHVR pipes upstairs.

They then come back, seal the structure, insulate and batten the inside for the plasterboard. Plus a couple of ceilings upstairs that can only be done after sealing.

Just now, dogman said:

No not by a long way. I now have to slate the roof and get the windows and doors in and some of the MHVR pipes upstairs.

They then come back, seal the structure, insulate and batten the inside for the plasterboard. Plus a couple of ceilings upstairs that can only be done after sealing.

Ah of course. Completely forgot about that bit :) 

I have to say that the last 4 weeks have been amazing. This is the third self build we have built and i have found the MBC teams to be some of the hardest working and skilled carpenters i have ever seen. The attention to detail and the standard of their workmanship is second to none. I just went onto the roof to start setting out for the slates. Ran a laser square across the roofs and there was only a couple of millimetres difference. 

On 3/31/2017 at 12:23, TerryE said:

and it is just as easy for the plastering gang to pass the board up the stair well and into the right room and by the right quantity,

On 3/31/2017 at 12:23, TerryE said:

They walk PBoard into building and up floors all of the time, so this was absolutely routine for them. 

We might make it look easy but I can assure you NOBODY wants to be doing it.

• Like 1

This looks to get progressing well @dogman.

I am seriously considering using MBC after reading various builds on the forum. Most general builders I have made contact with have either not bothered to reply with quotes for our build or appear to be stuck in the dark ages and cant seem to comprehend how a passive raft slab can possibly work xD 

@Rossek9 I would always shop around and listen to others as there are some timber frame companies who get good reviews on here. I would suggest you try and have a look at a couple during construction as this gives a true idea of the quality. 

MBC will send you details of local builds that welcome visitors and if you were a bit closer you would be welcome to look at mine.

I looked at SIPS, ICF and timberframe companies when i was planning this, and i was favouring SIPS until i saw my first MBC home as it was just so much better. A lot of my experiences were with Sips and the compromises you need to make with foundation design to avoid issues with the sole plates. Another point i liked was that with SIPS and other builds you very much need to ensure the frame is sealed as it is built. (SIPS are effectively glued together) As with any timberframe there will be some slight( i am talking 1-2mm) between panels as wood does move. The MBC twin stud system solves this by using pumped insulation that fills the whole of the wall meaning there can never be a gap between two panels.

@Simplysimon yes we are slating on counter battens. This helps with ventilation between the insulating layer and the slates on a warm roof.( required I think by building regulations) 

12 hours ago, dogman said:

I have to say that the last 4 weeks have been amazing. This is the third self build we have built and i have found the MBC teams to be some of the hardest working and skilled carpenters i have ever seen. The attention to detail and the standard of their workmanship is second to none. I just went onto the roof to start setting out for the slates. Ran a laser square across the roofs and there was only a couple of millimetres difference. 

We went with MBC and also found the standard of work second to none and the attitude of all their workers of the highest order.

One of the main reasons we choose them was because they did the whole package, slab, u/f heating pipes, frame, insulation and not forgetting air tightness. So no problems with interface between the different tradesmen.

When we were researching which company to go with we visited a build in progress of another timber frame company who didn't do the slab, what a mess, the builder who put in the slab had made errors in his measurements for the internal walls resulting in the frame erectors having to use a club hammer to get the panels in by the time they got to the top floor.

So going with MBC was a 'no brainer' as far as we were concerned.

Edited by JanetE