New to self build looking for approx per square meter cost

Hi I am new to self build. I have already purchased a land with planning permission to live our self in that which has planning for 1.5 bunglow with 150sqm of footage near bath.we are looking to submit building regulations but before we submit I was looking for advise from you guys that how much does it cost to build

such type of bungalow near Bath(Wiltshire)  with developer specifications as I am looking to hire main contractor. I am looking to spend basic prices for kitchen and bathrooms so looking for how much it would cost roughly for turnkey (including all) per square meter price near bath.

There is also a shared unused  well in that land so how can we close it whom/how to proceed to close the unused well please advise. Whom we should

contact regarding well. I am completely new to this so struggling to

get information.

also please suggest any good reliable experienced builders for new builds near bath.

Your cost per m2 will depend on many things 

The type of ground Availability of service

the finish spec location and most of all the amount of work that you are able to do yourself 

Build costs on here will range from £1000m2 to £2000 m2

Its worth searching the forum und Build costs Which will give you some insight to what members have spent on there builds 

A quick answer is £1500 to £2500 per square meter.  The best place to start is  getting quotes/estimates from turnkey companies as TBC said above .

"good reliable experienced builders" availability is going to be the main issue.  

• Like 1

Thank you for suggestions. I am not entirely sticked to turnkey companies. I want to hire main contractor which ever cheaper option and probably for installing kitchen, flooring, bathrooms I can search installers for my self but really can’t do much my self other than painting like stuff.i searched in forum it said around £1500 which I was bit confused is it including all or just shell cost.

1 hour ago, Aks said:

Hi I am new to self build. I have already purchased a land with planning permission to live our self in that which has planning for 1.5 bunglow with 150sqm of footage near bath.we are looking to submit building regulations but before we submit I was looking for advise from you guys that how much does it cost to build

such type of bungalow near Bath(Wiltshire)  with developer specifications as I am looking to hire main contractor. I am looking to spend basic prices for kitchen and bathrooms so looking for how much it would cost roughly for turnkey (including all) per square meter price near bath.

There is also a shared unused  well in that land so how can we close it whom/how to proceed to close the unused well please advise. Whom we should

contact regarding well. I am completely new to this so struggling to

get information.

also please suggest any good reliable experienced builders for new builds near bath.

18 minutes ago, Adrian Walker said:

A quick answer is £1500 to £2500 per square meter.  The best place to start is  getting quotes/estimates from turnkey companies as TBC said above .

"good reliable experienced builders" availability is going to be the main issue.  

Thanks for your reply.

i am not entirely looking for turnkey if it is expensive rather hiring the main contractor. I was looking to hire main contractor and probably will look for others to hire my self  for kitchen installation, bathrooms and flooring. When I looked in forum many said they got for £1500 per square meter so just wanting to know is £1500 is shell cost or including everything.

Edited by Aks

5 minutes ago, Aks said:

Thank you for suggestions. I am not entirely sticked to turnkey companies. I want to hire main contractor which ever cheaper option and probably for installing kitchen, flooring, bathrooms I can search installers for my self but really can’t do much my self other than painting like stuff.i searched in forum it said around £1500 which I was bit confused is it including all or just shell cost.

We came in at 815 m2 two years ago 

We will start our next later this year and expect to be £1000 m2  

As I’ve already stated The key is how much Self Building you do ?

F39898EB-5452-4EF9-8C30-A30F1C1BF645.jpeg

Edited by nod

I’d say to be wary of costs per square metre unless they are clear about what they include. Also, as others have mentioned so much is site and design dependent. For example, is there an existing property on your site? Are there already the right services? How much glazing is there in relation to square metre size? Etc etc. 

Edited by rbw

8 minutes ago, nod said:

We came in at 815 m2 two years ago 

We will start our next later this year and expect to be £1000 m2  

As I’ve already stated The key is how much Self Building you do ?

F39898EB-5452-4EF9-8C30-A30F1C1BF645.jpeg

Could I know what is how much self build i do is that means i my self doing plumbing or installing bathrooms, plastering like that. I don’t have any knowledge of doing building stuff other than just painting.☹️ 

Lot depends on how complicated the design is. Simple rectangular houses with simple pitched roofs are cheaper than L shape with lots of dormers or similar complexities.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Temp said:

Lot depends on how complicated the design is. Simple rectangular houses with simple pitched roofs are cheaper than L shape with lots of dormers or similar complexities.

That was the house plan which we got so far.

1D8DBFFD-B1CB-465E-AEFC-96CB46202D09.jpeg

2B80DBB0-224E-4726-9B1A-24A8874617AD.jpeg

10 minutes ago, rbw said:

I’d say to be wary of costs per square metre unless they are clear about what they include. Also, as others have mentioned so much is site and design dependent. For example, is there an existing property on your site? Are there already the right services? How much glazing is there in relation to square metre size? Etc etc. 

I have temporary structure in that space which needs to be knock down and build new one. I don’t have any services in site. For drain and water i would be expecting around 10k but again not sure which is reasonable or not as i don’t have any experience in build stuff which is the reason looking to know whether this house is in my budjet or not as for 150sqm my budjet is around £200k and i really can’t do much work other than painting the house.

2 hours ago, Aks said:

I have temporary structure in that space which needs to be knock down and build new one. I don’t have any services in site. For drain and water i would be expecting around 10k but again not sure which is reasonable or not as i don’t have any experience in build stuff which is the reason looking to know whether this house is in my budjet or not as for 150sqm my budjet is around £200k and i really can’t do much work other than painting the house.

Budgeting for the services to your plot can be done quite accurately by contacting the service providers 

A Google earth screenshot with your plot marked on will enable gas electric water to quote 

25 minutes ago, Aks said:

looking to know whether this house is in my budjet or not as for 150sqm my budjet is around £200k and i really can’t do much work other than painting the house.

The short answer is no, the budget will not be enough.  You will need at least £300k.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, nod said:

Budgeting for the services to your plot can be done quite acutely by contacting the service providers 

A Google earth screenshot with your plot marked on will enable gas electric water to quote 

Thanks for advise. Is there any website to get this approx quote.

8 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

The short answer is no, the budget will not be enough.  You will need at least £300k.

£300k is for everything including services and end to end or just cost to construct shell of house.

3 minutes ago, Aks said:

4 minutes ago, Aks said:

if you contact GEC or Crown energies 

They will give you an exact quote for all three 

image.png

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Aks said:

That was the house plan which we got so far.

1D8DBFFD-B1CB-465E-AEFC-96CB46202D09.jpeg

2B80DBB0-224E-4726-9B1A-24A8874617AD.jpeg

Your design lends its self to cheap build cost 

Especially if ground conditions are favorable 

Looks like a nice home 

• Thanks 1

As you already have planning permission a lot of the professional fees will already have been paid for. However you there will be more especially if the architect has not provided drawings for building control.

We are currently building a 160 sq m property (200 including garage) on a slightly complicated site in that it is built into a hill and we are looking at £1875 sq m cost if we are lucky, to a high standard using ICF and lots of insulation. We have builders on site but they are not expensive in comparison to many even here in the North West. 

Our costs could be lower if we had compromised on build materials but this is our forever home so these details for us are important and worth paying for.

Edited by Happy Valley
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Aks said:

£300k is for everything including services and end to end or just cost to construct shell of house.

Looking at the drawing the bungalow looks more like about 85m2 rather than the 150m2 you mentioned in your first post.  This will reduce the cost a great deal and you may well be able to achieve this within your proposed £200k budget.

• Thanks 1

We also used the very best materials and over insulated ie Thermal boards on every external wall Double sound block on every ceiling German kitchen and bathrooms 

Over 300 m2 of top quality Italian tiles 

More than 30 expensive sash window 

We could have easily have cut our 815m2

down if we had used standard quality materials 

and our costs would have rocketed if we had had a builder buying materials in just so we didn’t have to pay the vat upfront 

Dont be put of by some of the turnkey figures 

You could make a saving by employing individual trades rather than handing the job over to a builder 

Most builds are very easy to manage 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Looking at the drawing the bungalow looks more like about 85m2 rather than the 150m2 you mentioned in your first post.  This will reduce the cost a great deal and you may well be able to achieve this within your proposed £200k budget.

Thanks. We are looking to plan for loft space with PD drawing so that can have 2 bed rooms on top which is the reason said 150sqm but not sure creating loft space into bedrooms will cost how much more.

Hi - it seems you need to really tap into the internet and gain a much clearer picture of what the costs are when it comes to embarking on a self build project.

For me the basics would start with the plot - how much is it likely to cost in order to get the services connected - Search sites such as @nod suggested or the local energy suppliers. 

Then what type of build material are you looking for - TF - ICF - SIPS - Block work etc - 

Then you need to consider the external finish - render - brick - stone - cladding?

For a starter take a look at this site via this link - https://www.fleminghomes.co.uk/self-build-resources/cost-calculator/

There are other companies available, so I am not endorsing this company as such - it's just a pointer for you to start gaining a fuller understanding of what the costs are likely to be etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dpmiller said:

Is there actually enough height in that design for rooms in the attic?

We are looking to submit planning application with attic rooms under PD