Insuring current home while building in rear plot

WWilts

Demolition of attached garage to create access alongside current home.

New build in rear plot.

Construction of small lean-to porch/single storey extension where (larger) garage once was.

Builder has all relevant insurances with us covered, except if there is some damage without negligence. So the normal self-build insurance is covered.

Problem: Current buildings/contents insurer says they will stop cover (& refund for remaining duration).
We need to find buildings/contents insurance for our current home.

What would you do?

I think you’ve asked the wrong question of your insurers. 

Sequence should be :

- Split plot and fence off. 
- Insure plot as self build plot.

- demolition of garage and new extension 

Doing that most insurers would see the demo/extension on your land and plot. It sounds like your insurers think you want them to insure the self build on the same policy which they will not do. 

• Like 1

Yes - you can split the plot for insurance purposes and that’s what needs to happen here. Fence it off, give it an address of “Land adjacent to 42 Railway Cuttings” and then crack on. 

• Like 1

Who are your current insurers @WWilts..? 

Most if not all of the major insurers have a householder minor works clause in their policies and it defines what they mean. I think your insurers may have got the wrong end of the stick here. 

Also beware of this  :

13 hours ago, WWilts said:

Current buildings/contents insurer says they will stop cover (& refund for remaining duration).

That could be deemed cancellation by the insurer and that may go on the insurance database as such and you will need to declare you have had a policy cancelled. 

Home Protect do insurance with cover up to 

£20k works not notifiable so I would expect this would work for you assuming you don’t need higher cover. 

I think that a discussion with your insurer is the first stage, then insure the plot for the build. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

deemed cancellation by the insurer

Good point. The insurer said we should cancel and they would refund. 
Of course the insurer might decide that they can continue buildings/contents insurance despite demolition of the attached garage, once they understand things correctly.

Also have a broker looking into new buildings/contents insurance that can include the garage demolition, porch construction within 12 months