Woodworm and rot spraying cost

saveasteading

Any advice on the likely cost for woodworm and rot spray treatment please?

It is a completely open barn with no attics or impediments other than the height..

the roof is substantial A trusses and timber sarking boards (with gaps) measuring 400m2 of surface, on slope.

Plus some floor joists and floor boards, 100m2.

All softwood, probably all local and wide grained.

Nothing on the floor to worry about, and masses of fresh air whistling through.

Eaves 3m , ridges 5.5m and I assume they carry long lances so can be done from the ground.

Does not need a survey. there is worm and there is rot and they need to be treated, esp the  worm.

There is no death watch in the highlands (too warm and dry for them?) , and as far as i know, that is the one that needs different treatment.

I did ours as a preventative thing with non toxic borax, but there were no actual holes. It was about £100, I think for the stuff for a small area and we did it ourselves. I guess you might be better with the nasty toxic stuff which definitely works...

I have done a couple of my own roof structures myself. Used a normal sprayer and permethrin. More ventilation the better, make sure the timber is dry so it soaks up as much as it can. Did about 3 or 4 sprays. Proper mask with filters, gloves, goggles and painters disposable overalls. I never looked into getting quotes so can’t help on that.

4 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Any advice on the likely cost for woodworm and rot spray treatment please?

It is a completely open barn with no attics or impediments other than the height..

the roof is substantial A trusses and timber sarking boards (with gaps) measuring 400m2 of surface, on slope.

Plus some floor joists and floor boards, 100m2.

All softwood, probably all local and wide grained.

Nothing on the floor to worry about, and masses of fresh air whistling through.

Eaves 3m , ridges 5.5m and I assume they carry long lances so can be done from the ground.

Does not need a survey. there is worm and there is rot and they need to be treated, esp the  worm.

There is no death watch in the highlands (too warm and dry for them?) , and as far as i know, that is the one that needs different treatment.

Ah!

Preparation is the key in my view. Clean off all loose debris, loose mortar at the wall heads and so on, even give it a hoover. This way you'll be less tempted to over spray. You save on fluid and this will maybe tempt you to spend more on the chemical spray.

Long lances? well you'll get the easy to reach bits that are drafty but the worms etc will seek out the parts your "Heinekin" delivered "blind" from below has not reached. If you want to do a good job and are just not looking for the paperwork then set up some proper access and do it thoroughly.

Not sure on costs but you could sequence the works so that you can use the access platform for something else at the same time, say if you need to cut out and splice the badly wrotten rafters?

want to do a good job and are just not looking for the paperwork

Gus Potter thanks.

We do want paperwork as mortgage will require it, so will need to contract it out.

Your points about thoroughness are noted. 

We can get rid of webs and muck first.

Perhaps total supervision, to the point of annoying the workers will be the answer. to thorough coverage including through gaps and into corners.

• Haha 1

To our dismay, the companies all want to be paid for a 'survey'.

The survey will say , yes you have woodworm and some wet rot, and you should fix the leaks.

Then they will provide a quote.

Cynical me thinks they don't think we will pay for another survey.

Convenient when they all want paid for a 'survey' to calculate a quote.

If I had been paid for every estimate or free advice done over the years, at £90 for every couple of hours, how different things might be.

• 3 weeks later...

Answering my own question fyi.

There aren't many companies to choose from. 

Had a visit from one company who agreed to waive the fee, as we did not want a survey, just a quote.

Quite a thorough report, a mixture of relevant and generic.

Interestingly he described the treatment as a caution rather than necessity, I suppose because the worm will all die when the heating goes on.

Very, very expensive quote. Included 10 year guarantee, but then said that this was not usually sufficient , so could make it 20 years for an extra £800. Some people might think this was opportunistic.

Another contractor, selected by looking at time in business and location, quite reasonably said he would have to charge to visit as it was 40miles each way, but instead quoted from a drawing , description and quantities. Less than half the price, and including 20 year guarantee, and in line with my original estimate, which was just time/material/equipment/oh based.

I will not quote the prices until the job is done satisfactorily, but happy to do so then. 

Or PM if you need to know.