Is it a daft idea to take out a glazed unit just to shift a sofa?

Crofter

Need a new sofa, the last time we changed sofas we caused a fair bit of damage to both the house and furniture as it only just squeezed around some of the corners.

Since then, I've done a fair bit of DIY double glazing work, and I'm now thinking the clever thing to do is to pop the beads on my UPVC window, remove the glazed unit, and fire the sofa through the hole.

Only question is this particular window is one that I did not install myself. Is it likely that I'll find the glazed unit stuck in place with loads of sealant, or will the beads need replaced with new ones, anything like that to catch me out? It's been in for just over ten years (can see the date on the glazed unit) if that's of any importance.

Thanks

I did the same without any problems. Slip a pallet knife under the rubber seal to see if there is any mastic. Very unlikely to find any unless there has been a leak. Long flat blade to prise the bead out gently.

On 30/06/2021 at 22:19, PeterW said:

Glazing chisel is the quickest way to get the beads out but be careful as the big units can be quite heavy. Longest beads out first then work the others free. 

Thanks. My main worry is if I damage any seals or the beads.

Will have extra bodies available for the job tomorrow. Unit can't be as heavy as my 4ft square triple glazed one I installed a few months ago... that was proper heavy...

Reminds me of our last house- studio flat above the garage for our son, off he goes and orders a sofa, the day it arrives I’m home alone and there’s no way that sofa is going up them stairs, hubby comes home and it ends up he has to remove the full dormer window and two of them have to climb ladders carrying the sofa with me and the girlfriend inside to receive it!

When we sold the house hubby was not removing that dormer again so we ended up having to take a chainsaw to it and remove it in bits!

We did this at the office a few years back. Window and seal was all fine but one of the guys slipped and the edge went through his jeans and got him in the balls. Stitches required. 

• Sad 1

We sold a sofa a couple of years ago.  It was a nice leather reclining sofa, very comfy (I didn't really want to sell it) and heavy.

Someone wanted it but "could we deliver" we will pay extra for delivery.  So we loaded it on the trailer and set off complete with the sack truck to transport it.

It was a ground floor flat, accessed via a narrow alley, then up some steps with a wall either side, then a right angle turn to get in the front door.  MUCH heaving, shoving and pushing and we finally got it in.  Then the hall was barely any wider than the front door with the added fun of a storage heater intruding into the space.  And finally a right angle turn into the living room.

NEVER AGAIN.  "Buyer collects" ONLY.