Building Regs Approval Process

BadgerBadger

I've confused myself with what is probably very obvious once you've been through it!

We're intending doing a full plans building regulation application and our architect is currently working on the drawings.  I've been looking at our options for using the local authority or a private company.  Is the process the same for each? i.e. would we submit our plans to the private company for prior approval, and they then follow up with inspections.  Or do the plans still need to go to the local authority, with the option of using a private company for inspections?

Before the house build gets underway properly we need to do some things like creating an access from the highway, setting up site, getting temporary services etc.  Can we do this whilst our building regulations plans are being finalised and approved to save some time? (obviously only once planning conditions are discharged, and CIL exemption/commencement notified)

Thank you!

You will submit your plans for approval to your local authority for approval Who you choose to inspect and sign off Make no difference BC are just there to see that you follow Building Regulations Your inspector private or LA wil have no interest in the planning side 

You can get on with with site preparation I would hold back on creating a vehicle access

and I would make sure your Cil has been agreed before doing anything 

If applicable 

• Like 1

I decided to go with the local authority for inspections as a friend got caught out when their private building control company went bust (I believe post Grenfell the industry had difficulty getting insurance, I'm not sure what the situation is now). 

On 29/06/2021 at 20:42, BadgerBadger said:

I've confused myself with what is probably very obvious once you've been through it!

We're intending doing a full plans building regulation application and our architect is currently working on the drawings.  I've been looking at our options for using the local authority or a private company.  Is the process the same for each? i.e. would we submit our plans to the private company for prior approval, and they then follow up with inspections.  Or do the plans still need to go to the local authority, with the option of using a private company for inspections?

Before the house build gets underway properly we need to do some things like creating an access from the highway, setting up site, getting temporary services etc.  Can we do this whilst our building regulations plans are being finalised and approved to save some time? (obviously only once planning conditions are discharged, and CIL exemption/commencement notified)

Thank you!

Planning Permission, dropped kerb and CIL are all done by the local authority.

Building Control can be done by the Local Authority BCO or a private company. My understanding is that if you use a private BCO they will notify the LABCO for you. So send all the drawings to the private BCO.

Normally you send drawings and an application to whoever is doing your BCA and wait. They should eventually either approve your drawings, ask for changes, ask for more info or reject them. In some cases you may have to chase them up if they are busy. What a lot of people do is wait awhile then ask if they can start some work on site while they wait. In some cases people have dug foundation trenches but you should not fill them until the BCO has inspected them. Just be aware the BCO might decide you need piled foundations or more info so any work you do while waiting could be wasted.

The BCO should make a certain number of site visits during construction. I recommend you are there when he does one. Make a list of any issues he raises and any solutions you agree. Also ask him when he wants you to call him back for the next one. He will say something like "When you are at first floor level". Follow up with a letter or email ASAP thanking him for his visit, summarising these issues, and confirming you will let him know when you have reached the point when he wants you to call him back. If you can't be there get your builder to do this and copy you. Its not unknown for a BCO to tell the builder to fix something and instead the builder covers it up. 

Try and be polite to the BCO and keep him on your side, especially if they ask for easy changes. You might need him to bend the rules a bit later on when it would be expensive if he insists you comply. 

Edited by Temp