Panel night light and sensor type

Vijay

Hi,

Looking at adding a night light at my parents for their landing and also bathroom (which at their age is the main reason they might wake up at night).

I'm looking for a low level panel light that I can add to a stud wall and also maybe an LED strip to add under the bathroom furniture, which is about 1800mm of cabinets. Any idea what sort of watts I should be looking for that is not too bright but does the job?

Also, looking for a sensor to turn them both on when someone walks out of the bedrooms onto the small landing (1m x 3m approx). My sparky mate reckons a ceiling sensor which can be fitted centrally so it covers all 3 bedroom doors as well as the stairs. Would I be looking at a PIR or is there something else to consider?

Cheers

Vijay

We use a night light plugged into a socket. Has a sensor to turn it on automatically when it gets dark. Fitted with an LED bulb it consumes very little power. Probably not worth having a motion sensor built in as they probably consume more power than just leaving the LED on all night.

Edit: Think our night lights are around 0.5 W and a typical indoor PIR sensor is 1-3W.

Edited by Temp

6 hours ago, joe90 said:

So change the socket to a non switched one!!!

You have no idea of the headache he would cause with moaning lol He'd end up just removing it.  Anyway, I wan't it to turn on lights in the bathroom and landing

4 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Anyway, I wan't it to turn on lights in the bathroom and landing

I stayed in a Hotel a couple of years ago that had a low level light that came on when walking into the en suite at night, brilliant idea I thought and bought myself a motion detector/night time devise and planned some leds below the bathroom mirror, completely forgot about it so better add it to my “to do list”. You can buy led bulbs with built in motion detectors I believe, bought one once, must be in my “to do list drawer” ?.