Induction Hob Envy

I found Invisicook in the USA where a 4 burner is listed at $2600 and seems to just stick to the underside of any heat resistant top.

The controls seem to be on a separate panel or app.

A company called TPB makes them in Europe in porcelain countertops. The controls are also in the top. I would guess more expensive.

Probably talking an extra £2-3k over a normal induction hob.

I saw that. Our kitchen designer was very against an inset hob as she said that you have to allow a small gap around the hob which is difficult to clean. Thus she preferred it surface mounted.

I don't have any experience of an inset hob to back up her argument. I thought it would be neater being flush.

No hob and no seams would seem to solve these problems.

Can anyone find the data for induction hob sales or penetration in the UK?

When I googled these hobs I found an article that said only 1% of hobs in the US are induction. Its a funny country, for some technologies they are way ahead and for others way behind. The number of people who still write cheques is bizarre.

This lead me on to various induction pro/con pieces. I can only think the people against them have mostly not used them. Actually it reminds me a bit of reading about electric cars in the mainstream media.

When we stayed in an Airbnb a couple of years ago with a gas hob it confirmed my feeling that they are a nightmare clean. What I did not realise however, was that the flames comng up the side of the pan could easily make them dangerously hot. I would never have one.

The suggestions that I read against them included -

Too slow to heat up and hard to control - Nonsense

People don't want to buy new pots - Fair enough but not that expensive and they don't last forever. As an aside hang used cheapish Tefal for years we have switched to Circulon Momentum and I love them.

People think gas is cheaper than electricity - yes but due to lower efficiency they cost as much to run.

In Italy many houses have a maximum power draw of 3ish kw. This seems very problematic if true.

Edited by AliG

I found this

https://www.kbbreview.com/22153/opinion/gas-hobs-are-going-nowhere/

Apparently gas is now 33% of hob sales.I would assume that most of the rest are induction and not plain electric.

Assuming that kitchens/hobs are replaced on average every 20 years then I would guess we are at around 20% induction versus 1% in the US.

Of course new gas hobs will be banned soon enough

1. They use larger heavier pots and gas ranges are probably less likely to break under severe use.

2. Some things such as using a wok might be easier with gas.

3. Gas ranges are probably cheaper.

4. The chef doesn’t have to clean their own hob!

I presume the ban will extend to commercial kitchens at some point. You do get commercial induction jobs now.

26 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

must be a reason professional kitchens use gas.

Only the legacy ones.

Most new kitchens are now all electric. Works out cheaper, cleaner, cooler and easier.

So yet again you are showing just how backward thinking is still happening.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AliG said:

4. The chef doesn’t have to clean their own hob

Yes they do in most places. And under the fridges, tables, cabinets.  I clean as I go, others don't, and I hate working with them.

Only in TV does the chef create a master piece perfectly. The rest of use have to do whatever it takes to keep within the food hygiene laws, produce consistent meals, to a varying schedule, within price bounds and  like last night, in over 40⁰C.

The building industry could learn a lot from catering, including how to deal with panicking staff and customers with unrealistically high expectations.

Catering could learn a lot from production engineering.

Edited by SteamyTea

• 2 months later...
On 29/06/2021 at 16:50, gc100 said:

My Mrs did a lot of research into IH with extractors and her conclusion was the extractors where pretty useless (and very expensive) - I have no first hand experience personally. We went with a really nice IH without extractor in the end (https://ao.com/product/ex975lvv1e-siemens-iq700-induction-hob-black-68119-39.aspx) which we both love and I positioned 2 MVHR extraction points above the island each side (3m apart). Any smells are gone very quickly, and since we've been in, not once have I thought "I wish I had an extractor". My MVHR might be somewhat oversized though as in 'normal' speed it does 225m3/h (min regs for our house is 191m3/h)

Nice idea, but doesn’t this introduce a lot of grease into your MVHR system?