Follow up asbestos post and window seals

Many thanks to everyone who took time to respond to my previous post on asbestos exposure, some re-assuring posts and some worrying ones but have reconciled fact that nothing can do about the exposure and due to distances hoping not to many fibres got on me, I will never understand why I didn't change clothes before dealing with kids but was stressed with everything.

Can honestly say have never been so worried about anything in my life.  Have been reading quite a bit and wanted to get view from people on something else to do with what happened.

The builders cut through the softfit in two places with jig saw, the board was about 7mm thick and since has tested and contained Chrysotile asbestos, been reading that jig sawing releases 2-10 fibres/ cm3 - I'll be honest not sure what that really means but is higher than other things that can be done to board.  Also not sure if this means those fibres that are released are not bound to the cement anymore and so are microscopic.

What is worrying me now is did any get in the house, the cut was made outside my childrens bedroom window which was closed but they are old wooden windows and the seals aren't the best, the top of the windows end at the softfit that was cut.  Here is picture through the window where cut can just be seen :

IMG_6360.JPG.5edc0145371617cc9c5b137abccf372a.JPG

Here is picture of window seal on side was cut:

IMG_6361.JPG.64b5cc7f5d08026f1162b35f5e644507.JPG

We have these windows all over the house and some have visible gaps in the seals but fortunately not this one, they are a sort of flexible plastic rather than rubber and a few mm across.

I am stressing out that some microscopic fibres have got into their room, they are only little and worried sick.  Should i be getting them out of the room ?

I have wiped around the frames with wet kitchen towel and was dusty but there is normally dust there especially as been on open settings at times during the build.

Really not sure what to do, would it be worth getting someone round to test air, incident occurred on Thursday, not sure if too late now or if anything can do to re-assure ourselves as really affecting our mental health, I so wish they hadn't just cut the boards and paused for a moment.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

Lawrence

Not sure I can answer your question exactly, but I know exactly how you are feeling, it's very frightening and not completely rational. What has happened has happened, you can't take it back, only move forward.

Can you send the kids to friends/ grand parents whilst you clean up/calm down so you don't frighten them?

Fear isn't a fact. 

Remember damp is your friend. Wipe the surfaces and chuck the cloths. Throw everything you can in the washing machine. Anything which got through the window will be minuscule. 

I had asbestos soffits in an old house and had them covered with plastic glue on soffits to prevent dust. Is there some way to adjust the design?

Do the Paul McKenna minimising thing, it really helps. Shrink it down and move it far away so its just a tiny thing in your mind's eye. So it's there, but you can forget about it. Then figure out how best to manage your risk going forward. 

Edited by Jilly
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Jilly said:

Not sure I can answer your question exactly, but I know exactly how you are feeling, it's very frightening and not completely rational. What has happened has happened, you can't take it back, only move forward.

Can you send the kids to friends/ grand parents whilst you clean up/calm down so you don't frighten them?

Fear isn't a fact. 

Remember damp is your friend. Wipe the surfaces and chuck the cloths. Throw everything you can in the washing machine. Anything which got through the window will be minuscule. 

I had asbestos soffits in an old house and had them covered with plastic glue on soffits to prevent dust. Is there some way to adjust the design?

Do the Paul McKenna minimising thing, it really helps. Shrink it down and move it far away so its just a tiny thing in your mind's eye. So it's there, but you can forget about it. Then figure out how best to manage your risk going forward. 

Thanks for reply, just praying nothing got in as kids are so young, have wiped surfaces down with wet kitchen towel, we are going to move out for next phase where they deal with the softfits, just so annoyed they cut them whilst still here next to the windows, really suffering anxiety issues for first ever time with this, anyone with industry knowledge would be great to know just what u p against and chances of stuff having entered the house.

Thanks,

Lawrence

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Loz said:

chances of stuff having entered the house.

Slightly less than that of being hit by a meteorite whilst swimming with sharks whilst wrapped in bacon after winning the euromillions… . 

I would seriously get on with the build and ignore the issue as any asbestos would have been cement bound plus the wind will have carried anything far away from the house. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Slightly less than that of being hit by a meteorite whilst swimming with sharks whilst wrapped in bacon after winning the euromillions… . 

I would seriously get on with the build and ignore the issue as any asbestos would have been cement bound plus the wind will have carried anything far away from the house. 

Thanks for reply, I think I might need a lottery win to pay for the build !   There wasn't much wind on the day but guess the stuff isn't looking to get into windows and would have just settled for wind to take it away later, we haven't opened the windows since.

I am starting to think I am looking for things to worry about but do have an irrational fear of asbestos, going to try and enjoy rest of build and stop worrying about every step so good advice, much appreciated.  

Also having been over on the cancer research site as lots of asbestos chats on there have realised just what some people are going through and puts things very much into perspective, I have also vowed when get more time to start giving back on some of the forums, probably not much help on a build one but also realise I have posted a lot mainly about build worries without really giving back and forums rely on people replying so a big thanks to everyone who has taken to reply,

Lawrence

Thanks for all your replies, pretty happy now from replies none would have got in through window, what still really bugs me and I can not forgive myself for is that after being outside talking to builders whilst it was all going on - was about 5 m away from when they dropped it in dumper and dust came up is that at no point did I consider changing clothes, wish it was windy that day to blow the dust away quickly,  it was only that night after putting both kids to bed with loads of hugs that suddenly thought oh no it could be on my clothes - have read quite a bit about it getting stuck in clothing, just hope I was far enough way and not being the one to actually cut it that none got as far as me but really can't be sure and it is eating me up. Appreciate nothing can do and need to move on but keep coming back to that aspect of what happened.

Lawrence

• Like 1