Paslode IM350/90CT nails and gas

Vijay

I've seen people mention they had issues with certain nails and gas for their nail guns and just wondered what people would recommend for my nail gun. Obviously the cheaper the better but without the issues of nails not firing ;)

Am I right in saying the issues with gas are in winter? Otherwise are they all the same?

Cheers

Vijay

26 minutes ago, nod said:

Mostly in winter Vijay 

The gas freezes and the batteries don’t charge well when it’s cold 

That rings a bell from what I read, someone saying they put the gas can in their tea lol

49 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Use paslode with paslode gun

I could have sworn people recommended other makes though

27 minutes ago, BMcN said:

I've used these and never had a problem. Timco firmahold

with or without their gas?

13 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Paslode gas better for paslode guns. Cheap gas rubbish. 

Funny you should say that, I was just looking at the Fischer nails and gas, read some reviews that said the nails were fine, but they had issues with the gas. 

I am clueless about nail guns (and many other things lol), what would bad gas make the gun do, misfire? 

With gas, just get one and try it.  

If i had spent 600 quid on a new gun I might treat it to Paslode nails and gas.  I paid 150 second hand on ebay for my gun so after 4-5 boxes it will have paid back the cost of the gun.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Funny you should say that, I was just looking at the Fischer nails and gas, read some reviews that said the nails were fine, but they had issues with the gas. 

Yep - I’ve had issues with Fischer gas. I now only use Paslode gas (IM350) and nails really don’t matter tbh. You can get 2 from S’Fix or TS for about £16 each so they aren’t expensive. That’s going to do 3000 plus nails. 

1 hour ago, Vijay said:

That rings a bell from what I read, someone saying they put the gas can in their tea lol

? that was me!,!!! I used to buy “firmahold” nails and gas and have had no issues. (Apart from lukewarm tea ?).

I have not had problems with cheap nails in my IM360, but it needs to use Paslode gas because nobody makes alternative gas. The IM360 gas has a bit of propane in with the butane to enable it to work at lower temperatures - I can vouch for this working because I was able to drink all of my coffee at a civilised temperature this winter. 

I have used Quikload stainless nails, Fischer nails and Firmhold nails all without problem apart from the very occasional double fire. (I also have a significant pile of IM350 pattern gas I can't use.) I am led to believe the 350+ and 360 are near identical when it comes to the nail magazine, so I would not expect too many problems.

Edited by dnb
  • Haha 1

I was asking asking boys about this who were putting my kit up, he showed me that the cheap gas us just dirty. The discharge area was really dirty whereas the paslode seemed clean.  They used senco guns also and just used whatever gas. 

The boy actually shot himself in his hand this week peach. Ended up with an operation to get it out as it was close to the nerve.

It’s not so much the gas but the lubricant in the cartridges that is the difference. That’s why you get the mucky marks with cheap gas and when you service the guns there is a lot of carbon in the cylinders. 

23 hours ago, BMcN said:

With gas, just get one and try it.  

If i had spent 600 quid on a new gun I might treat it to Paslode nails and gas.  I paid 150 second hand on ebay for my gun so after 4-5 boxes it will have paid back the cost of the gun.

Ditto, £150 IIRC second hand unit. Seems a good way to go :)

22 hours ago, PeterW said:

Yep - I’ve had issues with Fischer gas. I now only use Paslode gas (IM350) and nails really don’t matter tbh. You can get 2 from S’Fix or TS for about £16 each so they aren’t expensive. That’s going to do 3000 plus nails. 

Have you ever noticed one gas gives more shots than others?

Gonna service the gun then get some stock :)  What sort of shelf life do you get with the gas?

Had an open gas I’ve not used for about 8 months and used it today and was all good. The batteries on the paslodes go - they are about £20 for 2 generic ones on eBay as they are Ni-Cad so worth swapping.