GAS and Electric disconnection

Renegade105

Hi all,

just waiting for planning to go through for our replacement dwelling, but need to get the gas disconnected and electric before we demolish.

Electric seems simple enough, had SSE round and they will cut off at the boundary, I just have to dig a hole where they can access the cable, and I will have to supply a box and hockey stick/post?

GAS, had a quote from Cadent which was very expensive £2k. Apparently they have to dig up the road, to turn of the supply. Then once the house is built, I need to eapply for them to come back and set up a new connection, which I think involves digging up the road again?

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Many thanks,

2k doesn’t seem to bad if they have to dig a road and make good 

When you do your groundworks you will need to install two ductings in trenches 

To the points where the services where cut off 

Don’t forget to add a draw string in each duct 

Before you disconnect electricity at the boundary, are you sure you don't want an electrical supply for build?? Normal procedure is to move the supply to a "temporary" site kiosk, and then you can leave it there indefinitely to avoid the cost of moving it a second time if you wish. (Also avoids putting a meter box in the exterior of the property, that can be unsightly and an insulation weak point)

For the gas ... yeah cadent were bit of nightmare for us, £2k for similar reasons, which they delayed 5 months, then canceled on day of disconnect (this was at the start of lockdown), then did an emergency temporary disconnect and left that until a year later a leak in the street meant a team were working on repairs anyway and I had them finally do the perm disconnect under the road. (Which magically they managed in one hour without any traffic lights at all, after the original survey and quote said it would need full road closure in both directions, and be done on a school holiday due to neighbouring school. Go figure).

Edited by joth

7 minutes ago, nod said:

2k doesn’t seem to bad if they have to dig a road and make good 

When you do your groundworks you will need to install two ductings in trenches 

To the points where the services where cut off 

Don’t forget to add a draw string in each duct 

Thanks,

Fantastic point about the drawstring

7 minutes ago, joth said:

Before you disconnect electricity at the boundary, are you sure you don't want an electrical supply for build?? Normal procedure is to move the supply to a "temporary" site kiosk, and then you can leave it there indefinitely to avoid the cost of moving it a second time if you wish. (Also avoids putting a meter box in the exterior of the property, that can be unsightly and an insulation weak point)

For the gas ... yeah cadent were bit of nightmare for us, £2k for similar reasons, which they delayed 5 months, then canceled on day of disconnect (this was at the start of lockdown), then did an emergency temporary disconnect and left that until a year later a leak in the street meant a team were working on repairs anyway and I had them finally do the perm disconnect under the road. (Which magically they managed in one hour without any traffic lights at all, after the original survey and quote said it would need full road closure in both directions, and be done on a school holiday due to neighbouring school. Go figure).

Hi,

Yeah were going to move it to the edge of the boundary on a temporary board, as will need electrics and water for the build. Bit annoying I have to move it quite far away from this point once the house goes up, its unfortunately just the way the plant room is located on the other end of the property. The alternative is to have the mains on the outside of the building and run wiring etc internally to the other side of the house, some 22m away

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, DillyDilly said:

I also need the gas to be disconnected before demolition ...... just wondering if they can disconnect it within our property... just inside our property at the boundary? Has anyone had this done like this?

If you request temporary disconnection it can be anywhere accessible on your premises, but if you want to make a permanent disconnection they'll insist it's on public land so they don't have any potentially live/leaks under the no longer serviced private plot 

• Like 1