Slump for a 300mm concrete slab with two layers of mesh

Moonshine

Pretty much as the steel work is in, the BCO has been out and checked it and is happy and looking to do my concrete slab pour on Friday.

its going to b a 300mm concrete (RC32/40) slab with two layers of mesh (bottom layer is 100 x 100mm grid) in it with 50mm cover, which will be pokered

I have a booking for the concrete, and have been asked what a slump i want.

I asked the ground work who has said 70-80, and when i told this to the concrete supplier they said it was too dry and won't go through the mesh and should have something more like 120.

having never poured a slab i don't know which one to go with, or just split the difference and get 100, any ideas

This guide recommends a slump of up to 90 for slabs and industrial floors

https://www.geargb.co.uk/productpdfs/Guide to concrete floor applications.pdf

Edited by Moonshine

You have my sympathies. I had this exact issue with my foundation pour. 150mm slab with 200mm ring beam and thickenings, 1 layer of reinforcing mesh in the slab, 2 layers in the other areas, grade C25/30. 

The groundworkers said ask the Structural Engineer, they said it was up to the groundworkers!

My understanding is that there is a minimum slump required for it to work with the pump truck, my supplier said that was S3, range 100 to 150, target 130. 

The ground workers seemed very happy with a slump of S3. Sorry I could not be more helpful. They did not have a poker. 

Edited by Nick Laslett

56 minutes ago, Andy brown said:

If you are pumping it, I would definitely check with the pump supplier.

its not being pumped, out of a mixer with conveyor for the first load to get to the back of the slab, and straight out of the mixer for the other loads.

1 hour ago, Moonshine said:

its not being pumped, out of a mixer with conveyor for the first load to get to the back of the slab, and straight out of the mixer for the other loads.

I don't think I have seen a concrete conveyor.  Does it come with the concrete truck?  Any pics?

I'd go with your ground worker's spec as they will be contractually responsible to you if it is incorrect. Get it in writing though.

Are you ordering your own concrete? Any reason the GW didn't want to do that?

Absolutely you want an S3 mix for a slab anything else is nearly unworkable and definitely wouldn't get through a pump. 

Target 120 ish and it's nice and workable, 70 slump is crazy low slump and will be damm near unworkable.

P.s if it's going through a pump fell the plant you want a pump mix.

Oh.. They must have a fast belt conveyor then so. Then in my humble opinion I wouldn't ask any of my concrete to pour a slab unless there was extenuating circumstances at anything less than 120 slump.

It's unnecessary hardship that if you get hot weather and not enough help could facilitate a disaster.

We pour circa 2000 -3000m3 a week at work as a rule. Chat to your GW's tell them what you've been advised in case there is some particular quirk to your slab but as I say if I said I was getting 80 slump concrete my crews would baulk at me ..... plus they will only end up flooding it with water  to get it workable and weakening your concrete anyway

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ronan 1 said:

Oh.. They must have a fast belt conveyor then so. Then in my humble opinion I wouldn't ask any of my concrete to pour a slab unless there was extenuating circumstances at anything less than 120 slump.

It's unnecessary hardship that if you get hot weather and not enough help could facilitate a disaster.

We pour circa 2000 -3000m3 a week at work as a rule. Chat to your GW's tell them what you've been advised in case there is some particular quirk to your slab but as I say if I said I was getting 80 slump concrete my crews would baulk at me ..... plus they will only end up flooding it with water  to get it workable and weakening your concrete anyway

120 it is then

4 hours ago, Moonshine said:

Slab laid, 120 slump, though the gw was complaining it was going off too quickly

??if he struggled to work it at 120 he'd have been in big  trouble had he got it at 80 like he wanted....

I'm sure your just glad to have it poured, congrats ?

• Like 1