Meter with “bypass”

Cauk

Context - long private supply pipe for new connection where I made enquiries on whether I could get a 50mm connection to main.

The quote has come back and it refers to “1 x large diameter connection 63mm” and them installing a 50mm comm pipe to our supply.. however the meter arrangement gave me pause..

”Lay 1no. 50mm comm pipe and install 1no. Tagus P25 meter with 32mm bypass arrangement to serve new house.”

Does this mean the meter is only 25mm?

Don’t laugh at me for my plumbing ideas but I’m wondering does the 32mm bypass mean that when water is on almost half goes through the meter, the rest through the bypass and they do some maths to work out how much water has been used? Why wouldn’t they just use a 50mm meter? I’m guessing at accuracy of recording given this is just one house?

?

Hmm. Does that 32 feed back into the 50 to go up to the house? It’s a 600m private supply so the plan was just one 50mm connection. Is the 32 bypass always open or does it get opened/closed depending on whether we are on fire..?

I can ask the water company but the have a 28 day turnaround ?

8 hours ago, PeterW said:

Meter would be at the house end. 

That's why I'm confused - the house is 600m away.

Our supply pipe runs in a field for 600m from the mains to the house - hence why I requested a 50mm connection to increase potential flow rate (based on comments on here ?)

The meter will be at the mains in the footpath (which is also in a field!) - so mains, short comm pipe, meter, our 600m supply pipe. They know this as I sent a diagram and the Clancy person they sent to survey phoned me on the day to walk through everything (and was the only person i've spoken with related to Southern Water that has been helpful so far)

I'll try phoning them tomorrow as it sounds like the P25 meter and bypass is not something that makes sense in this setup..?

edit: when I speak in present tense I mean future tense - none of this exists yet, I'm trying to get all the information before i push the button on a purchase.

Edited by Cauk