grab lorry & purchase OR hire crusher

LSB

Hello

We have many tons of rubble, some very large lumps.

This is the original barn floor.

As we are going to need ballast for the new floors I'm after the opinion about whether to have this lot 'grabbed and taken' or if we hire a crusher to make our own.

The cost of a crusher is £576 for 2 days, which may not be enough and also will possible not handle some of the large pieces.

So far we have only dug out about 25% of the floors so still have lots to do, but the pile is getting so large that I would like to sort this pile out soon to get space for the next lot.

Some of the lumps are so big that our digger can move them, but not lift so these will need to become part of the garden (bit ugly) or grabbed.

Here are a couple of pictures of the big bits and later I will take a picture of the main pile to give an idea.

This lot all came out of a hole that suddenly appeared beside the barn where we drive to dig out the floor.

rubble1.jpg

rubble2a.jpg

You may not be able to use the hardcore you crush in areas that the SE has specified what needs to be used, since yours will not be "certified", but if you've got enough pathways and driveway to use it all then I'd say crush it on site.

5 minutes ago, IanR said:

You may not be able to use the hardcore you crush in areas that the SE has specified what needs to be used, since yours will not be "certified", but if you've got enough pathways and driveway to use it all then I'd say crush it on site.

Some of the stuff we dug out was small so I've already done the 120m driveway and area around the barn, we have so much ?

But, thanks, I will check what we can use.

I sort of assumed that because it came out of the floor, we are just lowering it to get enough roof height, that it would be fine to go back in, sounds like that may not be the case.

You'll pay, say,  £300 + VAT / 20t truck to take the rubble away and the same to buy graded crush back in. 

Depends whether cost or time is the key variable.

I recall looking at the economics of crushing our demolished house & founds on site and could not get them to work. You need a decent sized crusher and it was not cheap

Maybe go for a hybrid approach - stack up the big bits to go away on a grab loader and use the smaller bits on site, run through a crusher if the hire makes sense. Then buy in the shortfall.

If you have a pecker, maybe use that to break up the bigger bits (but assuming you have just one machine may not be an efficient use of plant).