Effective ventilation wanted please in 1970s bungalow

jimbobamboom

Hi there.

This is my first post on the buildhub. I'm a halfways capable DIY-er, with more mistakes behind me than successes, but I learn.

My current problem is the ventilation of my sons' bedrooms. Do you think you can help please?

The window in each room has no trickle vent. Please see the attached photos. I do have a sliding vent above each bedroom into the hall. With 3 boys sharing two rooms, a lot of moisture and smell is generated overnight. I am not keen on leaving the windows open overnight, due to draughts and security. After watching a DIY video explaining how to retro-fit a trickle vent in a DG window, I drilled a pilot hole in one window frame, expecting a short penetration into void space within the frame that could likewise be accessed from the other side. Instead I hit something solid - possibly metal reinforcement within the frame. Anyways it looks like trickle vents are out, unless you can advise on what I might be doing wrong with the window frame, or perhaps suggest another means, e.g.  through the brick wall? I'm concerned in any case these vents are passive and largely uncontrollable. They are also subject to clogging and the effects of wind and other weather stuff.

Buildhub led me to the idea of PIV. I have plenty accessible space in my loft and easy access to gable ends, but not much money. I suspect they are expensive? I have two bathrooms, a kitchen and a living room, as well as 3 bedrooms to be involved in PIV. Do you think that might be a solution? What are the limitations? Can I DIY the installation?

I also read about MVHR. Do you think that could work? Again, I don't have much money, what are the limitations? Can I DIY the installation? I read that this solution is dependent on air tightness levels of 5ach or below (air changes per hour). No idea how I can measure that. Do you know?

A few questions here. Apologies. I hope you can provide some good advice that will help me. Ay. James.

IMG_3346.JPEG

IMG_3345.JPEG

A wall vent may be OK.  You can get them with an adjustable internal grille.  Drill a 4" hole, line with plastic duct, fit an adjustable internal grille and an external terminal.  High up works OK but make sure you are clear of the window lintel.

On 21/06/2021 at 12:32, Mr Punter said:

A wall vent may be OK.  You can get them with an adjustable internal grille.  Drill a 4" hole, line with plastic duct, fit an adjustable internal grille and an external terminal.  High up works OK but make sure you are clear of the window lintel.

Thanks Mr Punter and apologies for the late acknowledgement. I'd signed up for notifications but didn't get notified of your reply.

On 21/06/2021 at 12:43, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Are you able to put the window on a vent style lock? I can never remember if you can do that with tilt and turn. Or even just tilt it. Zero cost. Whatever you do low cost will let cold air in, but this may not be a serious issue.

Thanks MikeGraham21. Apologies for the late acknowledgement. I'd signed up for notifications but didn't get notified of your reply. There is no lock like that on the windows. Can they be retro-fitted, do you know?

On 21/06/2021 at 12:48, markc said:

Letting cold air in forces the stale air into the house, install an extractor in their room, pulls warm air from the house and ejects the hot stale air.

Thanks Mark C and apologies for the late acknowledgement. I'd signed up for notifications but didn't get notified of your reply. 

14 minutes ago, jimbobamboom said:

Thanks MikeGraham21. Apologies for the late acknowledgement. I'd signed up for notifications but didn't get notified of your reply. There is no lock like that on the windows. Can they be retro-fitted, do you know?

im not too sure with tilt and turn, mother in law has them and I think hers has a lock on the turn, if you take a photo of both parts of the locking mechanism with the window open I might be able to suggest something 

Edited by MikeGrahamT21

12 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

im not too sure with tilt and turn, mother in law has them and I think hers has a lock on the turn, if you take a photo of both parts of the locking mechanism with the window open I might be able to suggest something 

Thanks. I will do as soon as I can figure out again how to shrink the size of my iphone photos for this forum ;)