Can't bend pipe for shite?

LA3222

Oh how I laughed at @pocster and his shotgun plasterboarding.

Well, I will confess my sins - you ain't seen nothing until you have seen my pipe bending skills. I am open minded about taking on apprentices so if there are any budding padawans out there holla at me and I may share my secrets?

(Caveat pre-emptor - thos is temporary just to jack up the UFH, it will be replaced?)

20210619_193014.jpg

20210619_193031.jpg

20210619_193021.jpg

20210619_193028.jpg

Edited by LA3222
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Bony knee job was it? ?

May aswell have been?

I've got a pipe bender but didn't put much effort into learning how to get the bend to happen at the right place on the pipe - led to that mess.

Actually watched a YouTube video last night - need to put my new found knowledge to use and see what happens, can't be any worse?‍♂️

8 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

did you forget the fit the guide?

? guide was in. My problem was I knew where I wanted the bend to happen but didn't give too much thought as to how to work out it occurred where I wanted it. Lots of bending, straightening, bending and frustration then hey presto, I'm left with that abomination to the plumbing trade?

Edited by LA3222
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, JFDIY said:

I've never put much science into bending pipe, I wanted to bend some 28mm rather than have 8 solder joints per pipe, so I bought a hilmor and managed this,IMG_20210217_101339986.thumb.jpg.4c1fa4c4a1fe19d534a8ea22e2f86e3d.jpg

And a few more

IMG_20210304_074542396.thumb.jpg.3e6c47d4a7174d15e61db6b0b225245c.jpg

Yup, confirms the niggling suspicion I had that maybe my bends were not quite up to standard?

I see lots of lines on yours - markers to indicate where to bend etc? 

Yep, I definitely didn't do that. Decided to channel my inner Pocster and free wheel it, the good old Mk 1. eyeball was my weapon of choice when it came to measuring - the results are.exactly what you'd expect?

14 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

I see lots of lines on yours - markers to indicate where to bend etc? 

Yes, kind of, typically the start point of the former, so I could put it back in and bend a bit more if needed

Why so many Munsen ring clamps?

Be warned I used some of those on my UFH supply pipes (now in the insulation and under the screed) and forgot to put teflon tape around the copper pipe, really wish I'd not even used them and used plastic stauff clamps or similar because they creak every heat cycle. Back up plan is to cut them dead and run new pipes down the back of the stairs If I can't live with it.?

3 minutes ago, JFDIY said:

Why so many Munsen ring clamps?

Be warned I used some of those on my UFH supply pipes (now in the insulation and under the screed) and forgot to put teflon tape around the copper pipe, really wish I'd not even used them and used plastic stauff clamps or similar because they creak every heat cycle. Back up plan is to cut them dead and run new pipes down the back of the stairs If I can't live with it.?

I may have gone OTT with munsen rings! The pipework you see is on the wall in the plantroom, I have run all my plumbing throughout the house in hep and clipped with plastic clips. The only copper in in the plant room.

The manifolds are all in and OK. The butchered pipework you see was the temp stuff for the willis to get the UFH temporarily jacked up and to pressurise the entire system - be a while before I plan to get around to connecting the ASHP.

Those dodgy bits will all come off once the ASHP is in and I add the softener in too. Was a case of haste and impatience - works, looks honking though!!

15 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Too late, already been told off and had a post deleted.

So much for bringing light relief to these troubled time.

Funnily enough I was in Barnstaple on the weekend . That’s near you for sure as Cornwall / Devon are the same thing . I imagined you eating your pasty followed by a cream tea ( not a euphemism ) . Then I thought what a dump it all was . Watching incompetents try and body board or a small child wee in the sand .

I then returned home and forgot all about it . Troubled times indeed .

Edited by pocster

8 minutes ago, pocster said:

I thought what a dump it all was .

That is because you were in Devon you (expletive deleted)ing halfwit.

This is Cornwall, we have palm trees and pampas grass.

IMG_20210621_174212867_HDR.jpg

Edited by SteamyTea

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Yes, but we don't polish ours.

I guess Cornwall is too far for the Zoe to get to.

Still the mountain men on Exmoor will keep you warm.

Zoe goes where ever I want and she does whatever I ask