MVHR- real world performance?

Deals with kitchen ok. Shower could be better tbh. I wish I'd put directly over shower now although I'm sure bpc advised against. I do like particularly got and long showers though 20mins is about standard for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DragsterDriver said:

Sounds daft but- 

does it extract kitchen steam efficiently?

same with the bathroom shower?

Steam dissipates with a reduction in temperature. This is dependant on the size of the room as much as the rate of extraction.

I'm currently specifying a few Brink units for various projects, and they come with a pair of volt-free terminals which you can connect a switch to for initiating an early 5 min boost. I'm utilising that feature to cover the brief period before the MVHR unit realises the higher humidity for itself, eg when a shower is running, and also as a pre-evacuation initiative for when something steamy or smelly is being cooked. For the kitchens I intend using a timed latch-on contactor to hold the volt-free terminals closed for 30 mins to an hour ( can be adjusted easily to do anything from 10seconds to 24 hours ) so you never have to forget to / have to release the manually selected boost 'event'. Comes in handy for ablutions if deemed necessary, but an excellent idea IMO for cooking / kitchen. A simple switch ( retractive ) which is press and release does the trick.

Edited by Nickfromwales
  • Like 1

I have a single switch in kitchen that we put on when boiling and a double switch in bathroom where 1 side does boost for mvhr. I have the auto boost turned off as it seems to run when not wanted. I could turn down in settings but bit to boffiny for me. Recirculating cooker hood with carbon filter for smells and fat. I wouldn't want the grease going into mvhr duct work 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Eh?

You need to clarify that a lot more.

Steam is visible, ergo folk deem it more of a problem than it actually is......eg vs invisible water vapour / humidity. When it comes away from the heat source, it ( steam ) cools down and disappears.

Larger rooms make this seem less exaggerated, smaller rooms far more exaggerated.

The rate of extraction doesn't need to be much higher for a much larger room, eg a 4" fan in a small kitchen will be the same one BRegs ask for in a room 4 times the size. Drawing 100M3 per hour is the same for all size rooms. Correctly installed and sized MVHR will always promote adequate airflow through the room towards the extraction points, so the constant moving curtain of air will keep this to a minimum, particularly when on boost.

4 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Steam is visible, ergo folk deem it more of a problem than it actually is......eg vs invisible water vapour / humidity. When it comes away from the heat source, it ( steam ) cools down and disappears.

Steam is condensate and will not disappear, it will coalesce on surfaces, just like vapour (which is a mixture of gas and condensate) will if the surface is colder than the transition temperature.

Just now, SteamyTea said:

Steam is condensate and will not disappear, it will coalesce on surfaces, just like vapour (which is a mixture of gas and condensate) will if the surface is colder than the transition temperature.

Yes, and when it does it is no longer visible until it either settles or is conveyed elsewhere. Hence the condensate drain at the MVHR unit.

13 hours ago, Oz07 said:

I have a single switch in kitchen that we put on when boiling and a double switch in bathroom where 1 side does boost for mvhr. I have the auto boost turned off as it seems to run when not wanted. I could turn down in settings but bit to boffiny for me. Recirculating cooker hood with carbon filter for smells and fat. I wouldn't want the grease going into mvhr duct work 

see that’s what I’m here for- the blindingly obvious. Use a recirculating hood as well!