Finally we have an Architect

Deejay_2

I submitted a pre-planning application with plans I amended which were done in 2014 by an architectural technician who we would have happily used again but he is now retired and much prefers to bird watch.  I have found the experience of trying to find someone else a little daunting.  Firstly I contacted a local arch technologist who took a month to respond with a quote.  He quoted for his plans incl BC and then attached quotes from several companies re reports that might be required eg Tree Report £500 (no trees), D&A statement (would amount to £2000 in the end), Heritage Statement (also £2000 with everything added), fill application form £250 and so it went on.  His own plans were reasonably priced but the total would have reached around £10000 plus VAT.  3 others approached were too busy. Looking at the Planning portal I could see that some architects do their own reports where they can, so thought maybe the costs might balance out.  The Architect I chose from the planning portal  is RIBA qualified but is retired but still does some work.  She was interested so off went the plans I had done.  She said she does her own reports and as I have already done both D&A and Heritage reports myself (plagiarised from others) she said she could adapt these where required.  There is no VAT and on the face of it she fits in with all our requirements ie flexible, knowledgeable, experienced and not expensive.  The price she has quoted is £3000 and includes drawings for Plng and BC, drawings for obtaining tenders and overseeing the build (if I have read this correctly).  Am I going to wake up from this dream or am I going to be totally disillusioned by the responses I receive from here.  I have checked her out on the Architects Registration Board and have seen a couple of examples of her work on the Planning Portal.  I have another Arch technician interested and am very impressed with his website and his knowledge and his costs are also reasonable but there is just some niggle of a doubt.  I have therefore decided to engage the Architect but no doubt will get more of a feel for things during discussions with her before I sign any contract.  Does it sound as though I have been lucky.

• Like 1

Hi @Deejay_2 i would say you have been unbelievably lucky, i would  just clarify what overseeing the build means i cant imagen that it would include site visits more a " I'm on the end of the phone if you or your builders need me " but even so absolute bargain for planning and BC drawings ?

Hi - thanks for your response.  I had got it wrong (already!).  The cost of £3,000 is up to obtaining Building Reg approval.  Then £1500 for additional detailed drawings if required and a specification to enable a tender to be obtained and to control the quality of the work.  She will invite builders to quote and advise on tenders received. Instruct builder monitor progress and quality.  Will also provide Certificate of progress if required for lender including Certificate on Completion. She does say "monitoring the works on site" and "instructing the builder".  Still an unbelievable price.   I also think she may do 3D representations with the planning drawings.  I am not getting carried away with this but honestly at the moment I am so pleased.    If this were to materialise, then we could dispense with a Warranty provider, which in itself would be a great saving.  I'll keep posting on this - next time I might be crying.