Suggestions for this void and junction between wall and ceiling insulation

Jilly

To allow 50mm ventilation gap under the bitumen, non breathable membrane, we have drilled holes through the noggins, but right at the gable end, it's not really possible. It will be a kitchen wall, so moisture might be an issue. There will be insulated PB over the PIR between the rafters with a VCL.

Will it be ok to just seal this bit up and not worry, or should I think about some kind of breathable option for the wall (I'm thinking clay or lime plaster type stuff). (I know I'm mixing my modern airtight concepts with breathable buildings, but bare with me!)

Thank you!

void.jpg

1 hour ago, nod said:

Yes 

Just slot a 50 mil strip in between the wall and the rafter 

Belt and braces..to add

Squirt some expanding foam into the joints between the gaps, tape it up (plenty info on BH about cheep effective tapes) as the foam is not that vapour tight but really helps keep the insulation in place.

Sleep tight.. and.. in the winter; don't put on 5 gallon pots of stock on the stove steaming away all night, avoid drying vast amounts of washing without opening the windows. It's you own home so you know to let the "steam out"..just be sensible. Keep the heating on at low so you get some residual heat permeating though to the outside walls and into the roof space, you move the dew point outwards and you'll be fine. In terms of heating cost, it's a few quid extra a year?, no point in analysing this to death as you have a refurb /conversion. Just do your reasonable best and march on! Start thinking about the kitchen units and the enjoyable stuff!

In other words don't go away for example, let the place freeze, come back and make lots of water vapour. It's like an old car with leather seats, they crack if you keep them in an old damp garage, take it out and crank up the heater.

• Thanks 1