Vertical radiator on single stud?

phloaw

Hi, I have an internal, decorated plasterboard wall with poor studding: from left to right, there is a 22mm wide (i.e., horizontally parallel to the wall) stud, then a 38mm stud (the two studs are spaced 60cm), then the jack stud of the door.

I need to hang a ~2500 BTUs radiator, and I'd prefer to avoid both hanging on plasterboard and adding battens/noggins to fix the brackets.

So I thought to fit a vertical radiator (total width 27cm) by fixing all the four brackets to the 38mm stud via steel plates/flat brackets similar to this one:

image.png.a18cdb92d5eefa866732846eef3483a1.png

Would that work or be doable?

Any suggestion welcome.

That would be fine, Radiators are heavy but they are close to the wall so most of the load is down and not pulling on the wall (unless kids use them as climbing frames).

These plates would certainly help to transfer the load.

• Thanks 1

I’ve made some hardwood pads before, chamfered edges so they look good and fixed these and painted the same colour as the wall.

it allowed the vertical radiator bracket to be supported perfectly.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, markc said:

That would be fine, Radiators are heavy but they are close to the wall so most of the load is down and not pulling on the wall (unless kids use them as climbing frames).

These plates would certainly help to transfer the load.

Thanks! Given the fact that the weight of the empty radiator will be between 10 and 20 kg, would you have any advice about which gauge the steel plates should be?

20kgs is very light as rads go, i have one in my kitchen that weights around 80kgs full and it is hanging on 4no 10 screws.

plate gauge really doesnt matter as you are nowhere near the capacity of steel in shear.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, markc said:

20kgs is very light as rads go, i have one in my kitchen that weights around 80kgs full and it is hanging on 4no 10 screws.

plate gauge really doesnt matter as you are nowhere near the capacity of steel in shear.

Nice. Is your 80kg rad fixed to studs or to plasterboard?

4 minutes ago, phloaw said:

Nice. Is your 80kg rad fixed to studs or to plasterboard?

Very old uneven wall under the plasterboard so i inserted a plywood `plug` to give the screw shanks something to bear on otherwise the screws would have bent and torn down through the PB

• Like 1