Need some clarity on how to get started please..

Hi again,

could do with a little advice please. We're building a double storey extension to the back of our house. The plans are currently awaiting approval (things are looking good so far) (due July 13). I've started getting quotes from builders - these are very high level at the moment as I only have the architect drawings we used for planning (but look reasonable so far). The extension is not straight forward in so far as that it only needs slapping on as there is some reconfiguration of the existing house as well. 

To my questions:
1) I'd like to get to the next level of quotes with my builders, but in order to get them I need a detailed specification of materials, window sizes etc - my architect is happy to do this but suggested it would take about 6-8 weeks after planning approval, but some builders suggested they can do this, too. Would you trust a builder to do this (my gut says its their day job to build, so why would they not be able to do a detailed specification in collaboration with a structural engineer)?

2) In any case we will need a structural engineer so at what stage do I involve them?

3) Do I need to give LABC notice or do I need to go in with a full application? I read these take 6-8 weeks to be approved which would push us back quite a bit. I assume I need the detailed specification for the application?

4) Is there anything else I need to know about that I need to do before I can start construction?

Thank you for your help!

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

If you haven’t found a builder and paid a deposit securing a slot,I don’t think you will be doing anything quickly. 

Every trade I know is booked up for 3-4months solid, any builder taking on complete projects are booked up for the whole year. 

I have a few builders quoting already who have availability - some in the coming months, some in September. Maybe it is different in my area. I was surprised as well

As above

It's good you've got contact with builders, get a gut feel for who you feel you can work with, and communicate with on a regular basis.  Be prepared to wait though. 

1) Get planning submission sorted, busy builders like at the moment seem keen to spend time with clients once planning is passed and Building regs drawings are in place, that gives the reassurance that they are not spending valuable time building up quotes when the order may no be fulfilled.  Talking to my builder I'm getting an appreciation for how much time they have to spend off the tools to go out customer facing with future customers, then building up an estimate, dealing with suppliers etc etc.  It's not as easy as us customers think...  Especially timing everything to run as smooth as possible.  Add in material shortages and merchants being run off their feet too, material price rises are also causing a concern with customers aswell.

- once planning has passed, and only if you haven't already you may need to submit additional information regards window colours, brick types etc

2)  Architect will have contacts for an SE, again the SE may take a little while.  Another one of those jobs I thought would be wham bam thankyou.  Some can be quite steady.

3)  Submit building regs drawings and detail to the LA with SE report, your builder ought to be able to use these drawings for dimensions and working out qty's.

All the best.