Virgin Media install on plot that has never had VM

Bit of a strange one this one.

I am building at 1A which essentially is in the garden of 1 (which I own too). Number 1 has VM and i thought it would be a simply call to VM to have my house connected to their network but I am told that I will have to wait for the infrastructure in my street to be updated so they are able to connect in to me. I asked what the process is for this and was given a rather woolly well we keep an eye on the post code database and when your address is added and our engineers are in the area next doing some work they will upgrade the street but was told this might be months or years away.

Anyone ever had this before? The whole street is connected to VM so I find this explanation hard to believe. BT is pitifully slow here so I want to avoid that if possible!

Can you not do a multi room type setup where your other room is next door. Pay for it in the present house then when it's time to move over then run a cable over to the new house. Add the cost of 50% of the bill on to the rental agreement. 

It's for the internet and not the TV but yes I am going to speak to them about that. I doubt they are on the fastest package so I don't think they will have an issue with me using their connection on the basis that I cover the costs for doing so. 

It maybe that they lack capacity in the cabinet that services that property too. So this is "dead man's shoes" that if another neighbour cancels their subscription you can jump in and get it.

If sharing a link the main issue with VM even on their very top tier product is uplink bandwidth (and latency and jitter) and sharing a link could make that worse, depending how you do it. More of a problem for gamers and video conferencing.

26 minutes ago, joth said:

It maybe that they lack capacity in the cabinet that services that property too. So this is "dead man's shoes" that if another neighbour cancels their subscription you can jump in and get it.

If sharing a link the main issue with VM even on their very top tier product is uplink bandwidth (and latency and jitter) and sharing a link could make that worse, depending how you do it. More of a problem for gamers and video conferencing.

I don't think it's this as when I try and pretend to order for another house on the street that doesn't have VM it let's me order (or at least attempt to order - I didn't actually hit submit!). 

37 minutes ago, AliG said:

I have exactly the same situation and VM sent me a form to fill in. I hope they don't give me this response when I am ready to fill it in and be connected.

Did you contact them through the sales line or was it another department?

I really think this is a computer says no issue and with a bit of human input they can do it. I might be wrong however.  

When you speak to a VM sales rep, they are a min wage drone with no ability to do anything other than enter your details in a database.

We have a similar situation  - about 100m away from where VM terminates in our street but there was zero chance of it every coming further. 

VM rep was confident that he would make it happen etc.

Anyway, went with BT as that's what we had previously.

Can you not lay an appropriate duct yourself back to the street pavement to speed the process up for them when they finally get round to understand you are a customer who wishes to give them money on a regular basis and that’s really good for business 

7 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Can you not lay an appropriate duct yourself back to the street pavement to speed the process up for them when they finally get round to understand you are a customer who wishes to give them money on a regular basis and that’s really good for business 

That's already done. I got a roll of their cable off eBay just so I could run it into the house from the main street (and also have provision for it running into the garage if they decide they don't like the one I have run as I don't want to be drilling holes into the house). Literally they need to turn up and connect it in. 

Hopefully my house will go onto the RM website soon and I will try them again. 

3 hours ago, osmononame said:

Did you contact them through the sales line or was it another department?

I found a list of people responsible for new connections in each area.

P37-39 of this PDF has the person responsible for each area. I just emailed them direct. The document also includes details of internal cabling requirements.

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/shop/downloads/New-Build-Handbook-v1-63.pdf

There is also a form you can fill in here, but it seemed more designed for larger developments.

https://www.virginmedia.com/lightning/network-expansion/property-developers

Edited by AliG

5 hours ago, joth said:

Yeah, I wouldn’t share a connection for this reason. We are on a very fast VM package, regularly getting 200mb/s download and 20mb/s upload, but latency is pretty awful. It would be even worse if we had to share it, I assume.

Edited by Adsibob

2 hours ago, AliG said:

I found a list of people responsible for new connections in each area.

P37-39 of this PDF has the person responsible for each area. I just emailed them direct. The document also includes details of internal cabling requirements.

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/shop/downloads/New-Build-Handbook-v1-63.pdf

There is also a form you can fill in here, but it seemed more designed for larger developments.

https://www.virginmedia.com/lightning/network-expansion/property-developers

Thanks for this. I have emailed the guy for my area. Let's see!