A rant about prices

ProDave

23 minutes ago, jack said:

This sort of behaviour is a perfect counter-example to the "rational actor" so loved by economists.

Ah Choice Theory. Love it.

Quite close in some ways  to the notion of heating a house and how warm people feel. All over the house it's a balmy 21 - 22

"I'm cold" comes the plaintive cry. Oh fer gaaauuuud's sake, how much effort did we put in to making sure the undefloor heating stabilised at 20 - 22 .

When the FRIGGIN THEORY was based on male perceptions of warmth . Rational Actors indeed.

Edited by ToughButterCup

3 hours ago, Hilldes said:

I have bought loads of materials from our local Jewson for our build - not just blocks, sand, cement, below ground drainage and timber but whole house worth of insulation, Velux windows and Marley Alutec fascia and guttering for example. In every case they have been able to match or beat prices of the web-only shops.

Our BM wouldn't match insulation and drainage quotes found online. I bought 150mm insulation a few months at £43/sheet. The lowest the BM would entertain at that time was £55.

Likewise, I bought my drainage well ahead of schedule last year. 3m length of 110mm S/S was £6.99 + VAT when I bought (that particular supplier has now increased 50%). BM was above £10 + VAT per length.

Luckily, our contract with our kit supplier was fixed in Jan this year, so the bulk of our timber and insulation cost has been fixed prior to increases in 2021.

I bought and paid for my steel on 7th June  for my slab from a company with TZ in the name and paid £1700 . They cancelled the order yesterday claiming they couldn't get hold of it for at least a couple of weeks. The cheapest I have been able to find it is £2800. Am very grumpy about it!

13 minutes ago, Andy brown said:

I bought and paid for my steel on 7th June  for my slab from a company with TZ in the name and paid £1700 . They cancelled the order yesterday claiming they couldn't get hold of it for at least a couple of weeks. The cheapest I have been able to find it is £2800. Am very grumpy about it!

Ouch, i brought and paid for my steel for the whole project about 3 weeks ago and am very relieved to have got it on site yesterday.

Though saying that i may need more! ?

What steel are you after? There seems to be a back log in bent bar at the moment.

Edited by Moonshine

I think I was one week too late ordering - it was steel mesh I was after - delivery expected on Monday.

So far £1100 on steel increase and £4761 on timber frame and still not out of the ground. Next major expenses are roof tiles and windows - roof tiles already ordered (two months ago) but will see if price goes up when I request delivery and keeping fingers windows will be ok.

1 hour ago, Andy brown said:

I cancelled some rebar from a company with TZ in the name as they messed up the order - it did not arrive. Managed to find a company in Wigan who did it all for £200 less and delivered within 3 days.

Have ordered my steel beams locally - we don't know the exact sizes yet so are 50cm more than we think. Supplier happy to keep them on their site until we require them. Cost is going up by 5% at the end of month according to them so got my order in.

Edited by Happy Valley