Fixing gutter hedgehog

Robert Clark

Hi Guys

I am retro fitting gutter hedgehog on our house refurb.

we have deep flow gutter.

In places the hedgehog looks raised up, so I’m wondering if it needs fixing somehow.

Ive found some gutter brush fixings on Amazon but they all say ‘not suitable for deep flow guttering’

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FOTN35Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CF6ZB4JTYPC7153FS3GE

Do I really need to fix it?

If so what should I use ?

Thanks 

Grids or hedgehogs depends on what the problem is in your area. Both keep out leaves and mortar etc. but if there is a lot of airborne dust then hedgehogs tend to collect this and prevent it being washed along the gutter.

Ideally hedgehogs sit quite high to allow wind to clear dried leaves etc.

• Like 1

I had new square line gutters fitted to our house and asked the guys to fit  gutter hedgehog brush as we always had issues with debris in the gutters.

No special fixings used and they can be seen slightly proud of the gutter edge.

After a couple a years we started getting overflow after heavy downpours. on  inspection, the hedgehog brush was solid with moss and stuff growing in it!!! it looked like any silt fall out gathered rathered than washing away and this created a lovely growing matter for all things weedy. A length of clogged up gutter brush has some weight in it which does cause me some concern. I didnt count on a regular cleaning regime, I just presumed fit and forget and no more leaf build up. I hate heights and working up ladders.

Before fitting the gutter brush I never had a problem with the gutters overflowing like a water fall. Would I fit them again? probably not and especially if I have to clean them anyway.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Doesn’t it depend on the leaves as oak leaves seem to sit flat on the grids and form a waterproof lid around here. 

I backed onto a woodland in my old place. Literally massive trees just at back of me. Big London plane like 7m from house. They have big leaves and I never had a problem with grids. It's always dry enough one day for them to blow off. 

• Like 2

We’ve got a house which is surrounded by mature oak and sycamore trees. I first tried the flat type grids and the wet leafs just sat on top and blocked the whole thing off. I then switched to hedgehogs and they’re much better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ian said:

We’ve got a house which is surrounded by mature oak and sycamore trees. I first tried the flat type grids and the wet leafs just sat on top and blocked the whole thing off. I then switched to hedgehogs and they’re much better.

Exactly my experience at our old house.  Hedgehogs worked flawlessly and kept all the gutters clear and free flowing. Didn't need to secure as the slate overhang ensured they stayed in place.

• Like 1