Is this the Back Boiler storage tank?

Hi each & all - firstly excuse my ignorance, I have recently bought a flat to renovate and amongst the considerable to do list is the heating system which is an old back boiler system, which I need removing, but I have never dealt with one of these systems before - now after climbing up in to the loft there is this ugly thing  ( Pic enclosed ) is this the cold water storage tank?

I have a few questions for anyone who knows about these back boiler systems

I am in a flat ( 4 flats in the block ) 2 x ground floor - 2 x first floor - but my loft space only covers the area of mine and the flat below mine

Will we share this "storage tank"? as I have 4 x copper pipes coming from the flat below up to my loft ( pics enclosed ) and I dont want to effect there supply of either hot or cold water 

The back boiler has not been decomissioned yet as I will get the plumber to do this when he installs the new combi boiler, however the gas is off at the mains and will remain so

I just want to close off the entire back boiler system to my flat and then start my repipe ready for the new combi install - so any help/advice/tips from those in the know is greatly apreciated

Kind regards - Darren.

IMG-0126.JPG

DSC_0141.JPG

DSC_0140.JPG

Tread carefully and get your plumber to have a look.

If there are pipes running to the flat below, that header tank could well be in use still feeding the downstairs flat.  Time to go and ask them, probably with your plumber who can look at what they have and see if they are still using the header tank.

Thanks ProDave & Mark - I need to point out that I do not need to remove the header tank as the "loft space" is not included in the lease, so I do not have the right to do so anyway

I simply want to remove my flat from the system, hopefully without effecting the gentlemans supply ETC below, I also noticed that my hot feed to the kitchen tap comes in from the loft and tee's off to the bathroom hot supply with a ridiculous service valve portruding through the casing ( pic enclosed ) 

Kitchen2.png

On another note - the flat I purchased is the only privately owned in the block since 2007, the remaining 3 are social housing flats, am I correct in thinking that building regs mean the back boiler systems in the other flats will have been replaced