Resubmission of Class Q?

Cauk

We're still looking at buying a class q barn and a couple more options have come up. One had class q approved ~18 months ago and no work has commenced.

The last one i looked at was down in Devon and when I spoke with the local planning department they said it was possible to resubmit a class q submission, even where a prior one had been granted, to restart the clock and to incorporate changes as long as no work had commenced. I'm looking at one in a different area now, but i cannot find any documentation that says whether it is or is not possible to request class q more than once for a given building.

Any pointers?

There would be no issue in resubmitting a Class Q, as long as work had not started. If a Class Q was already approved, I'd assume you'd only have to resubmit Class Q (b), as long as you were intending a Change of Use to the same building, or part building, with the same Curtilage, and were only planning on changing the building operations.

I can't imagine you'd find much documentation regarding a re-submission, simply because there is nothing to stop it being done. 

Depending on timing and situation etc, another possible option might be to submit for full planning permission once you own it? The Class Q approval has established the principle of a house on the plot, which opens the door for full planning permission in many areas. Useful if you're finding what's been approved under Class Q a little restrictive eg in terms of materials, style, ridge height, floor plan etc. There's no room for manouvere at all. And full pp would restart the clock. Regards, Glenn

4 hours ago, Glenn said:

Depending on timing and situation etc, another possible option might be to submit for full planning permission once you own it? The Class Q approval has established the principle of a house on the plot, which opens the door for full planning permission in many areas. Useful if you're finding what's been approved under Class Q a little restrictive eg in terms of materials, style, ridge height, floor plan etc. There's no room for manouvere at all. And full pp would restart the clock. Regards, Glenn

Double check that, because I have a conversion with full planning and can't change anything until after it is a dwelling, and another planning application, and have an Article 4 Directive, so no PD rights. 

7 hours ago, Glenn said:

This is exactly what we did Glenn, Part Q then full planning. Seems to depend on your area though, South Devon seemed fine with it ?

Thanks all. 

Yes, intention would be to go for full planning. The vendor already has, but it is dragging and also doesn't represent what I'd like to do with it if we bought it. Might seem a long way around but my plan would be re-imagine the class Q, get windows and floorspace as i want it and then start my 3 year class Q clock as fallback before going for full planning.

Another thing that isn't clear, if the vendor's full planning gets approved after i've bought the plot, do i have to use it and does that lose me Class Q options? His submission includes a house on the plot next door which currently has class P (or something!) and he is attempting to use fallback position on that one..

1 minute ago, Cauk said:

Another thing that isn't clear, if the vendor's full planning gets approved after i've bought the plot, do i have to use it and does that lose me Class Q options? 

No that doesn't loose it, either option could be developed.

• Thanks 1