Stain on oak stairs

revelation

Hi all,

I am trying to get these ‘stains’ off my oak stairs. 
I have been cleaning them ready to osmo oil them. I have been really careful not to spill anything. 

I am assuming these came from when they were fitted, and some of the D4 glue being used got on there and was then wiped off. 

I was wondering will these show once oiled (I’m using osmo raw). 

if they will what’s the best course of action? To sand them out? A product that I can use? 

thanks in advance. 

image.jpg

26 minutes ago, revelation said:

Ive given the stairs a light 120 grit sanding.  And that’s not removed those marks. 

as they are stains you will need to take some material away to blur the edges. The oil will show up loads of colour differences so patches are to be expected but the ones pictured jump out.

40 minutes ago, markc said:

as they are stains you will need to take some material away to blur the edges. The oil will show up loads of colour differences so patches are to be expected but the ones pictured jump out.

What grit would you recommend to use?

Just now, revelation said:

What grit would you recommend to use?

120 will be ok, you dont want deep scratches to add to the marks to sand out. Use a small block and decent pressure, if it disappears easily then great, if not try a bit of oil and see how it dries. as you are using clear oil the multiply layers wont make much difference to the tone.

Oxalic acid is used to clean oak, comes up like balsa wood afterwards, if you were really selective in spot treating I bet it would lighten it. Is there anywhere inconspicuous you can test first?

1 hour ago, JFDIY said:

Oxalic acid is used to clean oak, comes up like balsa wood afterwards, if you were really selective in spot treating I bet it would lighten it. Is there anywhere inconspicuous you can test first?

I’ll try that. It won’t damage or leave any kind of water mark will it? 

26 minutes ago, nod said:

If it’s a water stain

cant see from pic

I normally use Oxalic acid 

I don’t think it’s water, the only thing I think is there was some glue spill (d4) that was wiped off shortly after.  

would the Oxalic Acid leave any mark if I were to try it?