New to self build

Lorenz

I just saw last week, that the government is supposedly supporting self build and have registered I hope, for Stroud area, but no acknowledgement from them yet.

Wondering if that scheme is working at all and if there are any self build groups in the South of Gloucestershire?

Was thinking of Aerated concrete as I have seen it used a lot abroad. Oak etc seem more complicated these days.

Off Grid would be something I would like to do and be near passive with a few acres, not sure how open planners are to that.

We have 4 children and not really seeing anything we like except those with an agricultural tie. Other places are asking more than I think they are worth, especially new builds and don't have space for us to do our business, we want to work from home.

Good morning and welcome, The `support` for self build is a lot of hype and very little to none existent actual help. Im in yorkshire and i keep badgering local councils regarding self build plots just to be told to look at estate agents and property websites.

• Sad 1

That is what I suspected, the questions seemed to be aimed at figuring out how much they could charge for things.

Pity the house building market is such a monopoly, I remember in France years ago that people could buy a serviced building plot from the council ( it wasn't much) and then could choose any number of different companies to come and build a house for them. This created competition.

At present I am not seeing houses built for the new normal, and new builds seem to be quite small and double what nearby houses of similar size are on the market for.

We are in an old house, but if we bought it, firstly we could not bring it up to a modern standard, but the works we could do would cost about the same as building a decent house up to modern standards.

Seems like looking for a run down bungalow as a rebuild site is the way to go, though I see a great many modern barns being converted, I wonder how to go about that?

1 hour ago, Lorenz said:

Seems like looking for a run down bungalow as a rebuild site is the way to go, though I see a great many modern barns being converted, I wonder how to go about that?

Does not always need to be a bungalow. We bought a tired 1950's 3 bed detached on a large plot (1/2 acre). Replaced with a house that was larger (inc full basement) and to a passive standard.

Advantage of demolishing and rebuilding are that all services are already in place  - electricity and water can be particularly expensive to run to a green field plot - as is access and boundaries with existing properties.

Unless you're in ANOB or conservation area, then you should have a pretty free hand with design.

Also, barring asbestos etc, demolishing is normally £5-10k and some materials can be reused on site for hard standing etc.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Lorenz said:

How many steps are there to registering to be on the self build register? Apparently, registering is just the first of many steps to register, sounds like gobbledygook to me?

I believed i had registered several times, even had a confirmation email. While badgering Barnsley Planning i was informed of the register, told them i had registered several times over the last few years - sorry, we cant find your name anywhere, but you are on the register now!

• Like 1