Velux install - Roofer insists all parts of kit not needed...

LW123

Hi everyone!

I would like some advice please if possible - I have had a roofer to complete a job where he has fitted 3 Velux windows but did not follow the manufacturer's instructions e.g. not fitted rain gutter, didn't frame the window in batten, didn't put in vapour barrier, didn't follow the steps on fitting the felt, etc. He's also fitted the surrounding roof tiles and a rubberised flat roof above the Velux, and I'm concerned if any of this leaks, the windows could be damaged and need replacing as I assume the gutter is to protect the Velux in future from other leaks that might happen?

He is insisting these steps in the instructions and bits from the BDX kit aren't needed and to quote him "the windows will be fine and won't leak as I've never had a problem before".

He is asking I pay him in full immediately, even though the work was done only a few days ago.

What should I do? Any advice would be great - where do I stand and is he right about the gutters, etc not being needed? If so, I'll gladly pay him as requested.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

34 minutes ago, LW123 said:

He's also fitted the surrounding roof tiles and a rubberised flat roof above the Velux,

Got any photos?

Can you put a hose out of one velux to test another?

My roofer also tossed lots of bits and bobs from the Velux kit in the skip (I was not impressed) but looked to mostly be associated with the insulation pack (the blanket bit) or optional parts for different roof materials.

I doubt the insulation made much difference as the roof is super insulated. 

Never had any issues.

WRT payment, is his work guaranteed? Will he return if there are problems?

The flat roof Velux installs are not the same as pitched roof, but the windows may have some components that don't get used.  More info please on what window, is it on a kerb? Did you supply?  Is he re-covering the whole roof? Photos.