2 or 3 Hinges on Internal Doors

Drew1000

I am about to get my internal doors fitted which are 2040 by 826/726.  None are fir doors and they are 40mm thick.  Question is - should I get 2 or 3 hinges fitted.  grateful for any advice from joiners who do this on a regular basis.

18 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Another vote for 3.  And you only want to do this once so get decent ball bearing hinges.

+1, my doors are fairly heavy so 3off ball bearing hinges (Screwfix ones were not that expensive).

I’m in a flat that is part of a Victorian mansion block.All the doors are big, heavy solid oak and old. About 2100 high and 880 wide. All of them only have two hinges. They all work fine. No warping. Three hinges would increase oiling cost and installation cost by 50% unnecessarily in my opinion. It’s all about using high quality hinges.

Then there is the debate about where to put the "middle" hinge.  I put mine, in the middle, but look at most office installs and the third hinge is a long way above the centreline, often not very far below the top hinge.

That must all be about weight.  The top hinge(s) are in tension, i.e. the weight of the door is trying to pull the screws out, so 2 hinges near the top spread the weight over more points.  The bottom hinge is in compression so unlikely the screws are in danger of pulling out.

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Then there is the debate about where to put the "middle" hinge.  I put mine, in the middle, but look at most office installs and the third hinge is a long way above the centreline, often not very far below the top hinge.

That must all be about weight.  The top hinge(s) are in tension, i.e. the weight of the door is trying to pull the screws out, so 2 hinges near the top spread the weight over more points.  The bottom hinge is in compression so unlikely the screws are in danger of pulling out.

I put my 3rd hinge dead centreline of the middle rail. For the aesthetics more than anything else.

The middle hinge on fire doors goes near the top hinge as this helps when heat of a fire, it stops the door warping so much. I still use 6" down from the top 9" up from the bottom and in the middle of the two on all doors in a house and two pairs on external doors and have done for years.

Some of my doors are original (or very old) but are relatively lightweight. Due to wood decay and damage I rehinged them - but only used 2 ball bearing hinges for those.

On the oak veneered engineered doors (replacing 1980s doors), which weighed a ton, I used 3. 

Thanks to all who replied to this thread.  Conclusions are that if cost and time are not important then 2 hinges should suffice.  On this occasion the doors are not that heavy so don't think paying the extra material and labour costs are justified.  hope I am right in the long run.  Regards

I've been talking to the guy that will supply my doors and he has suggested either 3 or 4 !!!!!!! I thought this sounded a bit OTT. The doors will be 2200 x 915 which is a bit taller than normal but after this I think 3 should be fine ??

On 12/06/2021 at 14:24, Drew1000 said:

I am about to get my internal doors fitted which are 2040 by 826/726.  None are fir doors and they are 40mm thick.  Question is - should I get 2 or 3 hinges fitted.  grateful for any advice from joiners who do this on a regular basis.

I do lurve the idea of fir doors. Very Barbarella.

1 hour ago, Drew1000 said:

On this occasion the doors are not that heavy so don't think paying the extra material and labour costs are justified.  hope I am right in the long run. 

decent hinges aren’t expensive and when your joiner is jigging the doors then it will be 2-3 mins extra to run the router around the third cutout and clean it up than just do two. 

£4.40 ex for a pack of three ball bearing hinges. 

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/product/twin-ball-bearing-fire-door-hinge-100x75x3mm-bs-en-grade-14-stainless-steel-pack-of-3-793130

• Like 1