painted walls and wallpaper walls meet in corners

TryC

Hi All,

I am currently trying to think of how best to remedy a problem I have. Wall A, has wall rock and lining paper and the end goal is to paint it, then as it meets a corner it shares with Wall B, which has been lined and will be wallpapered, the corner will leave a rather unsightly, gap or look wonky. If I use the wallpaper to fill the corner gaps, it will make my wallpaper uneven and the subsequent rolls put up. If I put on the wallpaper as straight as I can on Wall B, I get a wonky gap.

Does anyone have any advice on how to best deal with this please? How to minimise or what best to do?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Tennentslager said:

I think a picture is needed here...

thank you.

Attached some photos - the first two.

I had some questions about other things too. I had one wall skimmed. So after that, I sealed it per instructed and then painted it. One one said (3rd image) I see a load of cracks, why is this cracking - does anyone know please?

On photo 4, which is the other side of that wall of photo 3 ( it is like an internal chimney wall), this was also skimmed and sealed before being painted. I painted it and I didn't many cracks, however, there are areas on the wall that starts to clump and lump when I paint it. It is taking an asbolute butt load of coats to cover this wall. I am using Valspar, first time using this brand (and will be the last). I bought a 5kg tub of custom mixed paint and I've already used half of it up and this is only for this chimney wall and side and ONE wall (with the window in it), so you can imagine, you'd think that wall wouldn't need much. But because I am having to re-coat so many bloody times I'm nearly finished with the tub. Granted the wall with the window as the wall rock on it and the thermal lining paper - which I think is just absorbing the paint like no tomorrow. But still, it is taking a boat load of effort to paint. So, when that wall started cracking, I'm beginning to pull my hair out with it all.?

Photo 4, this actually happened on my cieling, which was boarded then skimmed, I sealed, then painted and it would become patchy in places and then clump and lump on the re-coat. Like it was resistant to stick on it - like the sealer (perhaps applied too much) began to repel the top coat.

Any advice would be appreciated.

20210612_121807.jpg

20210612_121828.jpg

20210612_124000.jpg

20210612_124008.jpg

Personally I'm not a fan of lining paper, I have it in one bedroom in this house.

Only way to get it looking good is to strip the lot and see what's underneath.

You might get away with filling and sanding the plaster then repainting.

It might need a skim if it's bad.

Do it once, do it right and job will be a good one.

Everything else is a compromise.

1 hour ago, Tennentslager said:

Personally I'm not a fan of lining paper, I have it in one bedroom in this house.

Only way to get it looking good is to strip the lot and see what's underneath.

You might get away with filling and sanding the plaster then repainting.

It might need a skim if it's bad.

Do it once, do it right and job will be a good one.

Everything else is a compromise.

thanks for your advice. however, i don't think any of it is an option. If the walls are uneven I cannot do anything about it and I have already put on the wall rock thermal insulation and its corresponding thermal liner. This is not cheap to simply strip the lot and see what is underneath. There is nothing underneath, everything was stripped and prepped before all this went on.

I thought in general lining paper had to go on before painting or wallpapering as a rule of thumb? yes, totally agree, lining paper is a pain, but I've put it on.

• 1 month later...

if your walls ae decent then you dont need lining paper.

just fold the wallpaper around the corner then trim it back with a sharp knife or peel it back and cut with scissors.

if your papering a wall from left to right, knock 10mm off the width of the first strip then draw a vertical line down the wall and hang your second strip to that then go back and hang the first strip overlapping the corner.