Hilti HPS-1 IMPACT ANCHOR

1 hour ago, Conor said:

I think you need A4 stainless for equivalent of 8.8 steel. I got rawlplug A4 stainless anchor bolts from Screwfix.

Not quite afaic...

"A4" relates to the corrosion resistance of the stainless steel. So A2 is nom 304 and A4 316 is 316 (better than 304). We've always referred to A4 as cutlery or marine grade. I recall a load of "ordinary", A2 stainless fixings used on a seafront job in Eastbourne. They had holes in them like a Swiss cheese after not too long!

Atop a st/st bolt you'll see stampings for example "A4 70" or "A4 80". The 70 and 80 refer to the tensile strength, 80 being higher. Roughly 80 is equivalent, tensile strength wise to 8.8. 

We used to use a lot of M16 nyloc nuts on M16 A2/304 studs sticking out of concrete. They are notorious for locking up. (Nobody then ever used copper slip). One trick was to use A4 nyloc nuts on A2 studding. Used to lock up far less for some reason. 

As an aside, with mild steel bolts, no stamping means you can't tell the tensile strength grade. Working up the strength scale you get 4.6, 4.8, 5.6, 5.8, 6.8, 8.8, 10.9, 12.9 all fairly common.

Above 8.8 they tend to be black and not zinc plated/galvanised as there can be problems with hydrogen embrittlement.

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jack1962 said:

Have just done a little more reading,, the Hilti are made from carbon steel and zinc coated, the shear strength is apparently greater than the stainless steel for same diameter of fixing

The Fischer data tables are available. Exactly what fixing type were you looking at?

For example:

LT_01_N_F_SEN_AIP_V2.pdf

1 minute ago, jack1962 said:

the spec for build says Hilti and i was just wondering if there was a comparable alternative with the same spec, it is for fixing sole plate to concrete slab

i see that the 8mm hole size fischer fixing A2 ,,from what i think i am reading right is 0.27kn...for the Hilti it appears for the 8mm hole size fixing it is 0.30kN Nrd & 0.50kN Vrd ...what does theNrd and Vrd mean,,any idea? 

55 minutes ago, jack1962 said:

Have just done a little more reading,, the Hilti are made from carbon steel and zinc coated, the shear strength is apparently greater than the stainless steel for same diameter of fixing

Exactly 

You won’t find better than Hilti

2 minutes ago, jack1962 said:

i see that the 8mm hole size fischer fixing A2 ,,from what i think i am reading right is 0.27kn...for the Hilti it appears for the 8mm hole size fixing it is 0.30kN Nrd & 0.50kN Vrd ...what does theNrd and Vrd mean,,any idea? 

Tensile Nrd, shear Vrd