How do I tile around a inset/drop-in bath

Hi,

I would like to fit an oval bath probably this one,

https://www.megabad.com/hersteller-koralle-badewannen-serie-t200-ovalbadewanne-a-100501.htm

Into a frame in my master bathroom.

I am thinking of using a timber panel on the side of the bath and hopefully I can get a joiner to make a storage drawer to pull out at the foot of the bath. The timber bath panel and the drawer face may be fluted so the drawer is 'hidden'.Pic and diagram attached.

But how do I deal with the top of the frame. I was thinking, if I support the tub from below, I can cut a hole in backer board, drop the tub in, tape the backer board to the bottom of the bath rim and then tile with mosaic tiles all around the rim of the bath - over the top of the tape.

Does this make any sense and will it be watertight?

I won't be doing any of this myself but I want to find if the proposal is feasible.

Thanks

20210611_210211.jpg

20210611_211628.jpg

Just a heads up.. Ask them but elsewhere people have said Megabad don't export to the UK anymore since Brexit.

You will need to find out from the maker of the bath how its meant to be supported. Many come with adjustable feet that must be used to carry the weight. Not always shown on drawings.

The best procedure is to make a strong frame from 2x4 and fit a WBP top with cut out for the bath. Fit the bath and adjust the feet. Then fit a removable side panel. You might need to reinforce the floor as the feet create point loads on the floor. More WBP can be used yo spread the load. The more rigid everything is the longer any sealer will last. If the bath or floor moves or flexes when you get in and out the sealer won't last as long.

Personally I hate cleaning and replacing mouldy sealers and tile grout so we opted for a free standing bath with wall mounted tap when we built our place.

2 hours ago, Donegalsd said:

how do I deal with the top of the frame. I was thinking, if I support the tub from below, I can cut a hole in backer board, drop the tub in, tape the backer board to the bottom of the bath rim and then tile with mosaic tiles all around the rim of the bath - over the top of the tape.

I think I would cut the hole, test fit bath, remove bath and tile up to the edge of the hole. Grout tiles. Sealer around the edge of hole and fit bath. Adjust any feet under the bath.

But as I said above, check the bath makers instructions first.

1 minute ago, Donegalsd said:

Hi Guys,  Thanks a million. I'm in Ireland so should be good for megabad.

Great advice from temp and brilliant montage from one off - mine won't be as fancy but same idea.

One off! ?

I'll take it 

The final tiling of the floor and walls let mine down, 'cos I did it! It's very hit and miss.

@pocster used some great line/levelling clips doing his tiling. Learnt a load doing it and the help on here is brilliant.

High points:

- Geberit wall hung WC frame with Bernstein rimless pan.

- The partially sunken bath means the floor and bath are on the same level.

- Taps against the wall would normally be a pita to service but I found a great conversion kit to make them removable.

-The bath side panels slope in at the bottom. Means you can stand closer to the bath.

- Magnetic door catches are a doddle to fit, even in cheapo doors and just work:

20190604_224006

@AliG put me onto them from here but I can't find the same ones on there now. Nearest but I prefer my round ones:

https://www.doorhandlecompany.co.uk/atlantic-mag-latch-86mm-magnetic-tubular-latches-bolt-throug-8624/

Video:

(Tiling comes under high and low points...literally). 

39 minutes ago, Onoff said:

The final tiling of the floor and walls let mine down, 'cos I did it! It's very hit and miss.

@pocster used some great line/levelling clips doing his tiling. Learnt a load doing it and the help on here is brilliant.

High points:

- Geberit wall hung WC frame with Bernstein rimless pan.

- The partially sunken bath means the floor and bath are on the same level.

- Taps against the wall would normally be a pita to service but I found a great conversion kit to make them removable.

-The bath side panels slope in at the bottom. Means you can stand closer to the bath.

- Magnetic door catches are a doddle to fit, even in cheapo doors and just work:

20190604_224006

@AliG put me onto them from here but I can't find the same ones on there now. Nearest but I prefer my round ones:

https://www.doorhandlecompany.co.uk/atlantic-mag-latch-86mm-magnetic-tubular-latches-bolt-throug-8624/

Video:

(Tiling comes under high and low points...literally). 

Can’t recommend the Rubi ( or similar ) levelling system enough .Tried some others ; whilst pretty good - this one is the best .

My workmanship now exceeds Uncle Nicks ( aka @Nickfromwales ) . Indeed round here they just call me “ The Incredible Tiler “ - tit for short 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, AliG said:

Truly exceptional bits of kit. A mate wanted them but couldn't find them so went with similar albeit square ones. Not anywhere near as nice imo.