severe cracking/popping from ceiling when someone in flat above

aforbes

Hi guys - new to this forum but it looks like it's full of brainy people!

Essentially I have terrible problem with guy upstairs doing awful works to his floor. 

Now, every time someone walks we get this really loud (sometime 70 db!!) cracking and popping noises which wake us up and is generally a nightmare.

Please hear recording attached. That's just one person - imagine what it's like when there are 4+

(have tried legal route so please don't suggest that).

Seems only thing to do is works from below.

Have low ceiling in part - so can't put in 10cm false ceiling much as I'd like to.

Does anyone have experience with simply screwing in the ceiling plaster? Did it work? (some of our nails are coming out since his works though I can't think that it's just this making the noise)

Does anyone have any experience with removing a ceiling (and the rockwool therein) and adding noggins between the joists? Did it work? Easy to put back?

He's also installed plaster boards between the joists to stop airborne sound (fat lot of good as we hear everything), so this would also have to be removed to get at the pipework above it that isn't wrapped.

In short does anyone have any sensible (affordable) ideas? Would be so grateful if so - and if you know of a competent, trustworthy workman who could do the job in SW London that would be even better! Thanks so much

14 nov 2019.mp3

Edited by aforbes
spelling error

Welcome to the forum.

The creaks and pops sound like nails to me. Problem is they might be nails he used to fix down his floor rather than those holding up your ceiling. Does it occur in just one or two places or everywhere? If its localised you could try putting in a few screws yourself in that area.

Interesting you say that - it occurs in different places across the floor. 

It's been suggested that I drill in drywall screws either side of any nails I can find (removing the nails is quite hard so I thought I'd just leave them in). Should I give this a go before anything else?

Man upstairs (apparently) hasn't used nails but he's a liar so who knows. One thing I know for sure is that he's used cheap chipboard; not wrapped any pipes; and hasn't used acoustic sealant. He's basically done the cheapest possible job - and not put noggins between the joists (this was another suggestion from a friend - that noggins were needed).

Has the guy upstairs maybe laid some sort of click-together laminate (without any underlay?), and it's the joints that are moving and creating the noise? Seems odd that he'd do anything structural to his floor to make it less solid or flex more than it did previously.

Not that it will help, but does the Party Wall Act apply to a shared floor/ceiling?

2 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

Has the guy upstairs maybe laid some sort of click-together laminate (without any underlay?), and it's the joints that are moving and creating the noise? Seems odd that he'd do anything structural to his floor to make it less solid or flex more than it did previously.

Not that it will help, but does the Party Wall Act apply to a shared floor/ceiling?

yes party wall act does apply - but it's just more money spent on surveyors and then lawyers as he'll fight to the death not to do any remedial works (I've already been in touch with surveyors but can't find one with experience of this regarding party wall act - ie sound problems). Freehold already spent 12k letters to guy upstairs and he did works that have created a new problem. Words fail me.   - No click together laminate (he's used thin rubber panels).

Anyhowwww - all I can hope to do is something from my site - I am hoping it's just ceiling but have horrible feeling it's joists (limit to what I can do) or even his cheap chip board which I'm told is really common problem - and there will be nothing I can do at all. nuts situation in 2021!!

It's been suggested that I drill in drywall screws either side of any nails I can find (removing the nails is quite hard so I thought I'd just leave them in). Should I give this a go before anything else?

What’s your ceiling height in the room?

it may be less grief to drop the ceiling and do an independent ceiling not tied to the floor upstairs, it will also give the opportunity to add further sound insulation.

I think this would be the easiest, less grief laden route to go down.

Unfortunately the ceiling height is too low to do that in the bedrooms - plus the noises are so loud and specific I don't actually think an independent ceiling will help (RSJ's in the way etc) - and mezzanine doors. Wherever there's a gap the sound will find it..! Any other suggestions most welcome