Bungalow - Renovation/Loft Conversion

Shah

Hi All,

I have embarked on a new project. Please help me in redesigning the bungalow. The bungalow is in a conservation area so any outside changes will have to be agreed/approved (will apply for planning permission).

We are looking to convert the loft as well as redesign the current layout. I have attached the current layout below. Total area is about 125sqm.

The aim is to have 2 main bedroom (with ensuite if possible) and 1 study/bedroom on the ground floor. Kitchen (plus utility/plant room) and two receptions. 2 bedroom and a bathroom in the loft. 

This is quite an initial stage so looking for some ideas and what should be added i.e. should I look at MVHR system, underfloor heating any thoughts on other modern electricals/gadgets to add or not to add, wood flooring or tiling etc etc.

Thanks,

Shah.

Layout.JPG.200da85fd2822f10a9b859c1d069363a.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Got some redesign done. Please let me know what do you think. Ground floor has two designs (which one do you guys think is better). Is there a way to improve on this design?

Thanks,

Shah.

Design 1.jpg

Design 2.jpg

Loft.jpg

Switching the study with the utility would be my immediate change. The upside is that you can put a window into that room and get daylight in your study, whereas in the middle of the house there won't be any chance of that - who wants to study/work in a dark windowless room?

The downside is if you were going to have your hot water tank in your utility, it is no longer in the middle of the house. But I think a house this big would need a secondary loop for hot water anyway, so that shouldn't matter. Another downside is the utility would border a bedroom, which might preclude overnight washing machine action. You could sound proof the utility room, which is what we're doing.

Edited by Adsibob

9 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Switching the study with the utility would be my immediate change. The upside is that you can put a window into that room and get daylight in your study, whereas in the middle of the house there won't be any chance of that - who wants to study/work in a dark windowless room?

Yes good point. I could workout what to do with this area in the middle So could effectively swap the two although it may not be as quite next to the kitchen...

Any feedback on the ensuite for the Bedroom at the front? Loft design? Thanks

47 minutes ago, Shah said:

Any feedback on the ensuite for the Bedroom at the front? Loft design? Thanks

What kind of plot is this? Would you be losing external side access to the back of your house by having the bigger en-suite? If not, bigger is definitely better. Not sure what the other differences are. Does one have a sky light and the other not?

Yes the plot is quite big at the back. Around 120 foot but if we extend to the side then we lose the access to the back hence the conundrum. Also this is a conservation area so not sure how they planners will see this. There is a skylight in the bigger ensuite. 

5 hours ago, Shah said:

Yes the plot is quite big at the back. Around 120 foot but if we extend to the side then we lose the access to the back hence the conundrum. Also this is a conservation area so not sure how they planners will see this. There is a skylight in the bigger ensuite. 

I wouldn't sacrifice the side access. Very useful and not worth it in my view. Agree with you that it will make planning more difficult, particularly in a conservation zone.

• 9 months later...

Hi All,

I am please to inform that after months of discussion with the planners we have managed to get the planning permission. There are some alterations to the original design although we are somewhat happy!!

I have some questions if someone can help please:

For the extension are we able to use the insulated raft foundation as this is clay soil and we do have trees nearby?

For the existing house how best to insulate it?

We want underfloor heating (how much insulation should we get for the original property?

For loft how best to insulate it? Rockwool between rafters and kingspan board on? and how much insulation will be enough?

Do we install MVHR system?

Do we install solar panels (in-roof ones if we can get planning for these)?

Thanks in advance.

Shah

image.png.8259697613502c3d2a2b376650694fc1.png

image.png.c2e1f7626b62481beb6cb0132382c196.png