Cracks in wall

LSB

We built an extension on our house about 20 years ago.

The old house was built 1860 and has no foundations and is on sand, so has always moved a bit.

The new extension had to have 3m+ piles where it connects to the new bit.

We are now re-decorating our master (in the extension), where there are a number of settlement cracks, easily filled and sanded for painting

But, under the window there is one which is about 1mm raised from side to side and we are not sure what to do.  This has been there for some time (years), but I'm not sure exactly how many.

Can anyone advise what path we should take.

We are not sure which side has raised or dropped, but it is the side by the radiator that is lower.

The downstairs goes out about 3m further than the bedroom, it has a sloped roof.

There are no corresponding cracks above the window or on the skirting.

This is above where the heating pipes go down for the lounge, which are surface mounted in the room below, not sure what we were thinking back then.

Picture to show.

20210609_092206.jpg

8 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

I have similar behind my rads, 1960s plaster, its debonded from the blockwork behind, if you push it, it moves, i need to knock it off when i do those rooms and replaster. Check this on yours

the plaster isn't loose so I don't have that, but downstairs there are lots of cracks where the old house can move and the extension can't.

Thankfully, most of them are level.

All the corners have crack, but as the house will be sold when the barn conversion is finished we need to make sure that nothing shows.

10 hours ago, nod said:

You will need to put paper tape over it 

Stuck down with easi-fil 

Then sanded off 

I've been looking up paper tape, but I'm not sure what you mean, is it this?

Low Price
619CF_P&$prodImageThumb$

Diall

DIALL PAPER JOINTING TAPE WHITE 90M X 50MM (619CF)

• 5 months later...

Best way would be to use some of components from External wall Insulation system. 1. Cut out crack. 2.Apply ZU Adhesive. 3.Apply reinforced mesh CT325 then use ZU adhesive again. 4 Next day you can prime this with Ct16 or PVA.. 5.Wall filler and final Coat of paint. Perhaps someone is doing External Wall Insulation next door? Worth to go and ask for small offcuts. If not try to find products there. Insulationgo LTD. Look for EWI section www.insulationgo.co.uk