UFH - Pin valve not fully closing?

AliG

Hi,

I have noticed that one loop in my heating has been warming up even though it is not on.

The actuator seems to be closed.

Could it be that the pin valve is not sealing properly, or maybe the actuator is not applying enough pressure?

I have heard of pin valves being stuck closed, but not open. Should I try and free it or do I likely need to replace it? I was wondering if I could get a manual cap to screw onto it just to see if it is a problem with the valve or the actuator?

Thanks

Edited by AliG

Had an idea. I will swap the actuator with another circuit and see if that circuit heats up. That would tell me that the actuator is not pushing down hard enough on the pin.

If the same circuit stays warm presumably it’s the pin.

• Like 1

Sometimes the actuator pops off the valve so it can't press on the pin. Happened to us once and it wasn't very obvious until I touched the actuator and it moved

• Like 1

A warm strip through the middle of the hall this morning tells me it is the actuator.

Now to figure out, is the actuator broken, or is the loop being turned on during the night even though it is switched off.

Very weird. The circuit was on when I went and checked the manifold, even though the controls say it was off.

I have reset the controller.

I hadn't been and checked the manifold so early in the day before, it seems like it was coming on during the night even though it wasn't supposed to.

Didn't matter when it was cold.

From this, it looks like it has been turning itself on at 6am every morning. The hall has been getting warmer and warmer. It is hard to tell though as this is also when the sun comes out, so the whole house gets warmer. The hall does face north though.

IMG_5609EC033B60-1.jpeg

Edited by AliG

I was lying down on the sofa and actually heard the circuit click on just now.

This is a wireless Heatmiser circuit that we had added as an extra circuit after the system was installed. Not sure why the controller is switching on the circuit when the thermostat is switched off.

It must be switching off and on randomly through the day as the floor has not yet completely cooled down.

I could just switch off the Heatmiser controller on the manifold until I need the heating on next winter but obviously better to fix it.

I recently changed the batteries in the thermostat which I think is part of the problem. 

Edited by AliG

OK, digging into the small print in the manual I have found the issue -

"Feature P3 - If the RF switch fails to receive a signal from the thermostat within a 40 minute period it will activate the output for up to 12 minutes every hour"

I have tried re-pairing the thermostat with the switch and then tried switching the heating off and on via the thermostat which seemed to work, but clearly there is a problem with the pairing which has resulted in this default 12 minutes per hour switching on.

If I cannot get them paired up, I can switch this feature off at least now that I know about it.

• Like 1

I have deleted and re-paired the thermostat a few times. It definitely pairs because you can then turn the circuit off and on if you change the set temperature.

But it seems to keep losing pairing and then goes into this weird default mode.

For the moment I have turned the default mode off.

There are a lot of walls between the thermostat and the receiver although it was working fine before and it still works sometimes.

I am going to buy a Neoplug as it extends the RF signal.

Seems a lot less hassle than moving the RF switch. That can be done but it is neatly away in the plant room at the moment and I don't want to have it out on display.

Expensive for a smart plug but does the job and I will put it in the hall freeing up the one I currently use to turn  Christmas tree lights off and on.

https://heatmisershop.co.uk/heatmiser-neoplug-smart-plug/