Phases phases

WWilts

SSE granted us 46 kVA new connection. With 25m of cable included in price. Remaining distance to nearest point of new build is about 13 m.

Now an electrician asked,

" Was the second phase specifically for car charging in the future or for the new property itself?"

This must have pricing implications for his work. "Estimate worked out as price per point".

Apart from car chargers (to be installed eventually), we have no need for any extraordinary power. No MVHR or ASHP etc. Would like to keep prices low without sacrificing any important or useful benefits

What should I tell him? 

(PS I know less than anyone about electricity)

Do you think he might be wanting to know where he has got to run it to? If you want it in the house then he has to run it there, If you want it in the garage then he will need to run it there?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markc said:

Possibly wondering if he/she will be required or expected to split/balance phase loads

If I say the second phase is for the property itself, not just for future car charging, will that push the price up a lot? And will it bring benefits?

25 minutes ago, WWilts said:

If I say the second phase is for the property itself, not just for future car charging, will that push the price up a lot? And will it bring benefits?

Big increase in price and no real benefit unless your supplier is going to give you a discount or penalties based on phase load.

I have 3 phase but use a standard Consumer Unit running on one phase for the house and only use the 3 phases for machines in my garage.

• Like 1