Chasing pipes into the wall and structural integrity

Hi all,

Came back to the house today to see the builders had chased some of the pipework into the wall. I'm a bit concerned affect this has on the structural integrity of the wall.  Am I being too cautious?

2 hours ago, Water said:

Hi all,

Came back to the house today to see the builders had chased some of the pipework into the wall. I'm a bit concerned affect this has on the structural integrity of the wall.  Am I being too cautious?

It was quite common once over

Not now Even the gas pipes are left on the surface and enclosed with drywall adhesive 

We retrospectively cut doorways into load besting walls, so a bit of chasing will be of zero detriment. Electricians will do that 4 times or more in the same wall before breakfast.
Zero BCO or structural issues / concerns have ever been raised in the last 25+ years of doing this exact work.

Time to put more tonic in with the gin ;) :) 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Water said:

try again

123.jpg

I personally wouldn't have gone that route, I would have just surface mounted the pipes and boxed them in. Vertical chases are one thing, I wouldn't be too happy about a horizontal chase like that. How deep is it? Looks like a 32mm pipe can easily fit in it? I wonder how much brick is left!

Yatzee!

I automatically assumed vertical chases. That's a chunk missing from that wall. :S Sorry, I now agree with your concerns.

4 hours ago, MattSu said:

I would have just surface mounted the pipes and boxed them in

Yup. 100% or popped the floors up. At the very most I would have removed just the render and set the waste pipe as far back as possible to reduce the footprint of the boxing in.

Not even sure if backfilling with a stiff cement compo would satisfy here.

Edited by Nickfromwales

59 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Is it a 4" wall or 9" party wall? (if that would make any difference to what can be chased out) I just can't imagine a builder would do that to a 4" wall and be ok with it

It's a standard cavity wall.

Think I'd be happier to loose 2”  off the room and create a service void for that lot, or just box it in.

I'd want the blocks/bricks chopping out and replacing, not just bodging in something over the face as a cosmic patch up

Edited by JFDIY

20 hours ago, Water said:

Yeah that was my concern, they blocks are 100 thick but I'll have to get back down there and measure the depth.

Did you get a chance to measure what's been removed/left?

17 hours ago, Vijay said:

Did you get a chance to measure what's been removed/left?

It’s 40mm minimum if a 32mm waste plus the thickness of the fitting has been lost. :/ So ~60mm of brick plus ~15-20mm of cement render & plaster remains. Not going to fall down any time soon, but probably best to confirm this isn’t taking the hop of the roof or chimney etc before ‘accepting’ this compromise.